Woman trapped with a blind date after Chinese COVID lockdown

It could have been worse.

Woman trapped in her own home with Amway salesperson after COVID lockdown

7 Likes

trapped with a blind date

16 Likes

Man trapped with a self-obsessed vlogger on blind date cannot escape his own home. (Just to put a different spin on it). But hey, it’s not the end of the world, right?

6 Likes

And…he likes pina colada

1 Like

Maybe doxing isn’t the right word, but she would have had to put his unobscured face in the videos for that to happen, so…what would the word for that be?

1 Like

Oh my god, yes, it is horrifying how women who “fail” to get married by the age of 30 are treated by both society and their own families in many parts of Asia. They call them “leftover women,” and they are treated as the term would imply.

5 Likes

“Christmas Cake” is the term I heard some 20ish years back. Is that still a thing in Japan?

3 Likes

It is still very much a thing in Japan. A lot of women feel immense pressure to either get married by 30 or never. The term “Christmas Cake” is pretty old-fashioned*, though.

(*Japanese slang is extremely short-lived; you will hear a term everywhere for a couple of years and then never again. Magazines will publish lists of “This Year’s Top 50 Slang Terms,” and even the ones from five years ago have already mostly disappeared from common use.)

8 Likes

What “different spin”? the same misogynistic BS that regularly gets women killed? How is that any different?

11 Likes

I realize women are murdered by mysoginists. But this was about a blind date, two persons were involved. No one was murdered. You can make your own assumptions about what really happened, but since neither of us were there, we’d be just writing our own tales.

3 Likes

While a woman being forcibly quarantined with a man she basically doesn’t know sounds like a nightmare to most women, it’s apparently ‘no big deal’ to some men.

SSDD

16 Likes

Or maybe she’s posting constantly so that people can know she’s still OK. If she stops posting, that would indicate something bad was happening and hopefully someone would call the authorities to intervene before it’s too late.

Just to put a different spin on it.

14 Likes

That might be true. Just to rephrase my point, blind dates and vlogging about them (without respectable privacy boundaries) are maybe not the best combination; blind dates, vlogging, becoming a global news story, and a worldwide pandemic you can’t escape, well, you would never have believed that script just a few years ago, but it’s the new reality I guess.

2 Likes

Sending emails to relative and friends or just Tweets would likely be enough for this.

5 Likes

Is it true or just another social media stunt?

2 Likes

What’s the difference? :wink:

2 Likes

Angry Batman Returns GIF by HBO Max

2 Likes

It’s really refreshing how a post about a woman trapped in what most would consider a truly unpleasant if not dangerous situation so quickly devolved into how she’s doing it wrong.

/S

15 Likes

I feel bad for both of them, stuck in a rotten societal situation made worse by a rotten public health crisis and exacerbated by the rotten social media culture young people feel obliged to participate in.

17 Likes

For a second I thought you meant Jude Law and Bradley Cooper.

What a twist!

3 Likes