Woman's stolen Kia stolen again, twice, even after security "fix"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/01/28/womans-stolen-kia-stolen-again-twice-even-after-security-fix.html

6 Likes

the companies are reduced to asking social media companies to remove videos that describe the hacks

has the company ever heard of the streisand effect? oh, dear.

1 Like

And she wants it back again?

Why?

1 Like

Get one of these!

Oh wait:

8 Likes

Another video of the LPL not mincing words.

Another one, just because Ramsets are fun.

8 Likes

Because this problem has probably ruined the already low resale vale of a Kia/Hyundai and some people can’t afford to just buy another car?

7 Likes

My Hyundai is old enough to not be susceptible to this attack (but has still been stolen twice). In personal experience, Hyundai makes good, reliable cars but that everything not involved in driving the car is as cheap as possible. The engine has been great, but almost every plastic part has broken (switches, handles, etc). Definitely feels like stuff inside the cabin was made to minimal standards

5 Likes

Pro tip: use a chain to lock the brake pedal to the gear shift.

1 Like

Gah. Even if she found a way to protect the car from being actually stolen, she’s probably at high risk of someone breaking into it anyway. Plenty of thieves would smash before really looking.

My Kia is getting old, and electrical gremlins are beginning to show up. I am hoping to buy a used Subaru Forester this year.

2 Likes

Huh, maybe that’s why my insurer tried to jack up my rates. My Kia has an immobilizer, because I insisted on one. It necessitated a whole add-on package, because of course it did, but it included other things I already wanted, so it was worth it. Based on the quality of my car, I thought maybe Kia had improved past this kind of corner-cutting. It’s a shame.

It’s fairly obvious, in that the “push to start” button is prominent and shiny silver, with a bright LED, but I guess even that might not be enough.

I have a 2009 Rondo, and I think it’s before they removed the immobilizers from their designs. It made it to about 2021 before any of the problems started showing up. Now it’s beginning to be a car that you have to talk to someone about before they borrow it. “if you need to do this, you have to do that first. And if you need this, it’s broken”

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.