Women grabs phone from Uber driver and rips off his mask after he asks her to mask up

Originally published at: Women grabs phone from Uber driver and rips off his mask after he asks her to mask up | Boing Boing

5 Likes

How can we go about setting up a GoFundMe or something similar for the driver? He deserves it after having to deal with garbage people like this.

13 Likes

Someone did:

Tweet announcing:

Direct link:

18 Likes

What the hell is wrong with people like this?

20 Likes

This is the result of years of peace and affluence – and a society that no longer values adulthood.

Yeah, clearly the solution to all this incivility is an economic depression and a war to whip Americans into shape. Maybe some child labour, too! /s

Whether we’re talking about MAGAts or “old -fashioned” conservatives who oppose them (like Nichols), suffering on a mass scale seems to be the common goal. Acknowledging that an arsehole is usually just an arsehole would lead to some uncomfortable sessions in front of the bathroom mirror.

18 Likes

She’s pretty unrepentant in her response (80 seconds of a video of a generally incoherent rant)… https://twitter.com/i/status/1369327881265020937

I look forward to a sober judge’s reaction to her “lawsuit”.

15 Likes

Agree that blaming society’s peace and affluence seems like a really misguided take.
On the other hand l really like the description of our society as not valuing adulthood. Maturity and self-restraint are less encouraged for those born with privilege. That trump acts like a spoiled child is one of his main attractions; its the selfish, short-sighted, consequence-free livestyle envied by many of his supporters

13 Likes

Karens In Cars!

11 Likes
12 Likes

I agree, but keep in mind he’s talking about a different conception of adulthood, one devoid of any joy beyond the small sporadic pleasures afforded to the medieval peasant or 19th-century industrial worker.

Guys like Nichols will always find a way to make excuses for conservative monied elites with the right pedigrees (i.e. not the arseholes in the car and not Biff) when they act like jerks.

It depends on the parenting. There’s also a real cultural push amongst the Silicon Valley “meritocratic” tech elites to foster maturity and self-restraint in their children (partially due to a need to deny their own privilege).

7 Likes

What an entitled jerk. And her cohorts laughed instead of telling her to chill. Just as bad.

11 Likes

It’ll go straight to arbitration (she clearly didn’t read the terms of agreement, although her threat is just empty posturing).

6 Likes

Lyft has kicked her out also, on principle.

Laughing Out Loud GIF by memecandy

11 Likes

cabgif2

17 Likes

Love that Lyft banned her as well. That, plus the confession on video, should just about do it.

10 Likes

Dear lord, I hate this idea. It is one of the core ideas that underpins fascism. The idea of a fallen degenerate society is the perfect breeding ground for authoritarian impulses. It is such a key concept that it is one of the few that makes it into almost every definition of fascism. It even makes it into the shortest reasonable definition, Griffin’s palingenetic ultranationalism. Whether we are talking about recent critics of fascism like Paxton, or going back to Mussolini’s Doctrine of fascism an how it decries the decadence of the post Bismarck era, it is there. We weren’t better in our heroic past. We haven’t grown soft.

11 Likes

This is an unbelievably stupid take which just exposes Nichols’ privilege.

It’s actually the result of a ruling class completely captured by special interests and public policy riven by runaway capitalist and corporate greed. This has resulted in a powerless proletariat unable to value real education or meaningful human experience unless it’s mediated and commodified by corporations.

7 Likes

And thanks to the California voters who approved prop 22, which exempts Uber/Lyft from following state law which classifies drivers as employees, if this poor gentleman were to get covid it is of no consequence to Uber because he is not an employee, in the legal sense.

9 Likes

I have thought better of the Nichols quote and have removed it.

6 Likes

“75 percent of people I know would have smacked the shit out of him or done some crazy ass off the wall shit.”

So she admits she hangs around with terrible people who have no impulse control or respect for other people like herself? How is this a defense?

12 Likes