Women say they were "branded and traumatized by doctors" in New York as part of cult ritual

I’ve never found anyone who claimed to have an answer, who did. Found a few folks who had no idea how many of the answers they had. Same as it ever was.

2 Likes

this cult, that cult.

THE CULT

4 Likes

Oh. That group.

I’m not sure if the founder was really a Scientologist or not, but he went shopping at Cult Depot and picked up a lot of Scientology stuff.

9 Likes

Seems like an awful lot of work to go to - setting up a BDSM club in New York isn’t something you need to keep secret.

1 Like

What is the name supposed to be? Looks like roman numerals. Sort of.

Did they hire Scott Kim to design it?

2 Likes

See that’s the deal we made
Just to join the Öyster Cult.

In short, these people are behaving like an Ivy League college fraternity, and generally acting above their station.

I’m so glad you put this story up on the wire. Thanks Mark.

1 Like

It is an honor to submit.

http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Secrets-of-NXIVM-2880885.php

Robert Crockett, a lawyer for NXIVM, told a federal judge in October: “It’s not a cult, it’s not anything like Scientology,” — not that there is anything bad about Scientology, he added.

Heh. Scientology, the cult signpost on the road before you get to Waco and Jonestown.

Raniere in 30 years:

(Dave Berg, Children of God. Burning in that special hell.)

3 Likes

I’ve read the first 8 books or so of the series. Really nowhere near as shocking or as lascivious as I was led to believe- but I read them in 2015, not the 1970’s, so back then it was probably recieved far differently.

Theres plenty of cheesy plot elements reflecting the time that the books were written, but that said, there’s some legitimately good scifi/fantasy in the first 5 of the series.

1 Like

I think that is definitely true. In the 70s and 80s it was a big deal. Nowadays we have Fetlife, and Rhianna sings about S&M.

I think the biggest issue I had with the books back then, was the gross pervy dudes that would wave the damn things around at every young girl they could talk to. The only reason I had heard of them, was because I looked like a young girl, and a dude offloaded a bunch onto me hoping I’d take the hint.

That’s when the store owner started reading them hilariously over the intercom at work. I mean, in addition to romance novels passages, military fiction passages, and stuff from the bible on Sundays when the Christians came in and got shirty over prices.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.