Wonder Woman 3 is dead in the water

Originally published at: Wonder Woman 3 is dead in the water | Boing Boing

4 Likes

I have to believe Gunn is smart enough to recognize one of the stronger pieces of the existing DCU and find a way to bring Gadot back for a third movie, along with Jenkins. Hopefully it’s just the current treatment they’re rejecting.

11 Likes

This story has already circulated on multiple outlets, generated a buzz, and been responded to by James Gunn in detail on Twitter.

A lot of the entertainment news from Boingboing is similarly strangely behind.

1 Like

It’s not a race…

5 Likes

I hope so too. When I was smol, I watched Lynda Carter’s Wonder Woman with joy. (I still have the action figure tucked away, a little worse for wear.) So seeing Diana on the big screen was significant and special to me… even if the movie itself was more solid than exceptional. And the box office pretty much proved there’s an audience for women superheroes. DC would be wise to remember that…

18 Likes

if the treatment was anything like 1984 then it should have been rejected. that movie was a mess.

17 Likes

Fantastic TV series, and from what I understand, Lynda herself is Good People in real life.

8 Likes

I liked Maxwell Lord’s origin movie. I hope They make a Keith Giffen’s Justice League movie.

3 Likes

I would feel better if these two movie titles were swapped in these headlines…

11 Likes

‘mess’ is being polite.

3 Likes

It’s okay for a superhero movie to take some leaps in logic, but when Steve pilots a fighter jet from the Smithsonian for a trans-Atlantic crossing, it feels like they just gave up – and the movie’s not even half over at that point.

4 Likes

Yeah, the first movie was awesome… until it hooked the DCEU. My daughter was enraptured by the visions of Themiscyra, but after about five minutes of the “real world” scenes, she was ready to walk out. One of the things that made Black Panther so meaningful to people was just letting the story dwell in Wakanda. It took all of the palace intrigue, cultural touchstones and ceremony seriously and didn’t treat them like a preamble to “How can we wedge eurocentrism into this?” studio fuckery. I would love to see similar treatment for Wonder Woman. I’d bet Patty Jenkins would, too.

8 Likes

Hmm. The F-111 Aardvark has about a 3,200 mile max range, and the flight from Washington DC to Egypt is about 6,000 miles. They obviously stopped to refuel at the island of Themyscira which is coincidentally exactly half way there. And don’t try to tell me that they don’t have fuel there. They’ve got to fuel their torches with something.

6 Likes

Isn’t it Snyder?

(please no pendant)

1 Like

Truly the National Air and Space Museum is full of wonders.

history-1
history-2

ETA: Let’s not forget that while Steve stole the plane he piloted in the second movie from the Smithsonian, he also stole the giant German airplane full of WMDs at the end the first movie from the climax of Captain America: the First Avenger.

4 Likes

He should, Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 2 was in theaters the same year as the first Wonder Woman movie. The “No Man’s Land” scene came up a lot.

Agreed.

Read some X-Men and you’ll get over that fixation on the practicality of fighter jets in fiction real quick.

1 Like

Well, well, the plot thickens. I’d wondered if it were studio interference, given how often DC execs are undermining their own directors and writers. Seems that thought might be true.

6 Likes

“She just doesn’t want to allow them to have a seat at the table to have an opinion on something new that she might come up with,” the insider added

god, it’s got to be hard to be a woman in hollywood. such a classic, but she won’t listen to reason line :confused:

7 Likes

… definitely easier to parallel-park an SR-71 if they happen to have a high-level telekinetic on the team

1 Like

Did they get rid of Diana’s invisible glass airplane?

1 Like