Word of the day: Kakistocracy

Conflation is a dish best served old.

Thing is, contrary to reputation, many of us leftish types have strong feelings for this country and hate to it in a misstep that may well be irrecoverable. We have seen a minority decide to do the equivalent of setting the curtains on fire on the notion that it’s a way to deal with dry rot in some of the timbers, and yes, we are grieving for our country.

15 Likes

The missing ingredient here is Dick Cheney’s ties to Halliburton who not only received no bid contracts to facilitate the war but also stood to gain the entirety of Iraq’s oil wealth when it was all over.

5 Likes

Nearly half of those who voted in the general election chose Trump. That’s not a minority setting fire to the curtains, that’s a massive horde setting fire to them. Which is even more depressing.

2 Likes

Nearly half of those who voted in the general election chose Trump. That’s not a minority

Post Truth in action.

3 Likes

A one million vote difference makes me balk at using the term ‘minority’, which conveys that a significantly smaller proportion of the electorate supported Trump. Not so.

Correction: A three to four million vote difference.

Oops.

This fact, along with @Wanderfound’s excellent points below, is enough for me to rescind this comment. Point taken.

2 Likes

Less than half of the voters.

Which is about a quarter of the eligible voters.

Which is substantially less than a quarter of the country, thanks to the disenfranchisement of large sections of the Black and Latino population

13 Likes

If we’re talking about the ratio of those who voted for Trump to the total population, then yes, they’re a minority. But then that means that every U.S. election is decided by a minority. Which is equally depressing.

6 Likes

Not quite so much:

2 Likes

What do you mean, still? It’s been like a week.

The grief will continue, and continue to increase, as long as complete fuckwits are at the helm, running the ship aground.

16 Likes

Man, I’m just striking out today. And damn my memory; I can’t even recall now where I read that figure.

4 Likes

Closely related to cake-istocracy.

Cake-istocracy: Government by those who would let the governed eat cake.

2 Likes

Kakistocracy is the end-result of Ochlochracy, which is mob rule. Mobs, when driven by base instincts are usually raised by rabble-rousers, who have the ability to stir those instincts, and more than a generous portion of said instincts in them.

By the way, be prepared for the Rape and Gutting of the GOP. I feel sorry for Republicans who strove to keep conservatism free from hate, populism and religious crackpottery. They are caged with a vindictive man who will turn their party into the Court of Orange if he can.

Nearly half of those who voted in the general election chose Trump. That’s not a minority setting fire to the curtains, that’s a massive horde setting fire to them. Which is even more depressing.

I probably should have said that a minority set fire too the curtains, and half* the population who could have done anything just looked on. Setting aside those who faced unreasonable obstacles to voting, the disengagement is its own separate depressing thing.

*Half is close enough for the metaphor.

2 Likes

I put on my brown pants and voted for Clinton, which is all I could do. I can’t say why others in my position didn’t do the same, but I don’t blame them. I couldn’t think of any reasons for voting Clinton that aren’t brown pants reasons.

3 Likes

Presumably you think that anyone can rise above their circumstances, if they pull on their bootstraps hard enough?

1 Like

If only…

I think Wilhelmina would have something to say about Trump if she were still alive.

1 Like

Please! I never meant the House of Orange-Nassau, not for a second… they are neither orange in color, nor as vulgar and abrasive. I mean the Court of Cheeto-Dorito the First of His Coloration.

2 Likes

3 Likes

Yes, but that’s still only like a quarter of the country, since about half of the country votes regularly and the turn out was lower than usual, over all. So, yeah, it’s STILL a minority of the country, by a huge margin, actually.

A point which posters already addressed! Carry on!

1 Like