Work in a $17k shed

Starting with a kit seems like a good way to go and if its simple enough modifying it to make certain bits better should be doable i’d hope.

3 Likes

If I wanted such a shed I would certainly build it myself, but I’ve also met many many people who I would not trust to build a shed if their lives depended on it. I could see why this might appeal to someone with more money than skill, especially if they needed that office-shed ASAP.

3 Likes

In my daydreams…

10 Likes

A shed is for lawn mowers. What you need is a “writing hut”.
Inspiration:
https://www.roalddahl.com/blog/2017/may/inside-roald-dahls-writing-hut

11 Likes

$17K? Holy shit.

1 Like

Perfect for those with more money than sense, but not even slightly what I’d be doing if I were blowing $17k on a shed. At the very least anything I built would need to open on 2 sides for cross-ventilation and have a spot for a hammock.

2 Likes

shed
FTFY. :grin:

7 Likes

I’ve always been jealous of Neil Gaiman’s old writing hut… but that was back when he lived in Minnesota and they live in NY state now? Although they are current stuck in New Zealand, maybe?

Bonus doggo…

Came from this blog, it seems:

15 Likes

10 Likes

Can I have fifty pounds to mend the shed? I’m right on my uppers. I can pay you back when this postal order comes from Australia. Honestly. Hope the bladder trouble’s getting better. Love, Ewan.

6 Likes

One of his greatest works.

3 Likes

Site says you can get climate control for another $3000.

What the site doesn‘t say is why the fucken shed is so expensive.

2 Likes

If you have to ask… :wink:

2 Likes

I can’t figure out if that means your time is worth nothing, or $17k! :thinking:

1 Like

Yeah they’re currently in NZ, i watched Amanda Palmer do a live stream performance on Twitch and Neil and her kid made appearances :smiley:

5 Likes

“In 6-8 weeks” for a mere “$9000” for 64 square feet?
What a bargain!
In 2-3 weeks of on-again-off-again I built a 200 square foot shed with windows, a door, and everything for about a quarter of that. And I’m not a very handy person.

4 Likes

These boingboing store posts are getting a bit absurd

2 Likes

Demolish? A shed!? Wash your mouth out! :wink:
Dismantle, move, and reassemble in new location. I did it to two sheds so far and reinforced one in the process (though it did need a new roof panel on one side).

I’ll be kind and assume yours is rotten beyond repair but, in general, old sheds are a great source of … new sheds.

9 Likes

One of the benefits of living in a post apocalyptic wasteland is that I could buy a small house as a writing shed for cheaper than this, and a used car to get there.

3 Likes

Strange choice making it only 8 foot square. I thought the main reason people build livable sheds was to dodge goofy building codes that forbid building sheds larger than 120 sq feet. Here in San Francsico that’s the law and the rule of thumb, at least.