Work resumes on San Francisco's tilting Millennium Tower as more doubts are raised

Originally published at: Work resumes on San Francisco's tilting Millennium Tower as more doubts are raised | Boing Boing

7 Likes

Wealthy people getting conned by other wealthy people seems to be the theme of the week here at BoingBoing. I like it.

24 Likes

Can’t they just tie it to the building next to it?

22 Likes

Demolition Wow GIF by JustViral.Net

16 Likes

Might be the only way out, at this point. Given the location of the building and its current… alignment, though, is implosion a viable option? Or is it tilting too far already to make that safe (for even small values of “safe”)?

10 Likes

I keep feeling like someone is going to get hurt when that thing falls over.

10 Likes

I mentioned this building’s problem to someone recently, and they hadn’t heard of it. It’s been going on for so long that it’s a little hard to catch up at this point. If anyone has a handy link that summarizes the saga or gives a timeline overview, I’d appreciate it.

5 Likes

Have balloons been categorically ruled out?

14 Likes

The test pile’s drilling only increased the building’s tilt the maximum amount allowed. A passing grade is, after all, a passing grade.

“Any landing construction project you can walk away from is a success.”

4 Likes

Can’t they just take out a block on the other side, to balance it up?

11 Likes

14 Likes

as more doubts are raised

@jlw I see what you did there…

4 Likes

25 Likes

There’s a “summary” article I read a few months back - which I believe came from BoingBoing - that helped bring me up to speed on a lot of the historical bullet-points. Warning though, it’s one of those articles that is mostly a gallery of related images with all the info in these huge, bold captions.

4 Likes

This is great, thank you. Thanks for letting me crowdsource this info request to you.

2 Likes

The building’s owners and investors are certainly going to walk away just fine and with no culpability. The tenants, as well as surrounding buildings and businesses and people, ehhhhh, maybe not so much.

3 Likes

It’s always comforting to remember that this is how good it is under seismically normal conditions; not the moderately infrequent but rather more challenging ones found in the area.

2 Likes

TPTB are just going to wait for the the Next Big One to finish off the thing, so they can claim if fell because of an Act of Dog & deny culpability…

2 Likes

Damn you beat me to it.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.