Workers rights and unions

13 Likes
5 Likes

entitlement programs

WTF, USA Today??

Is that, like, normal parlance in the US? I thought that was a propaganda term on par with ā€œwelfare queensā€ that was only used by the usual suspects

8 Likes

Itā€™s a sneak attack-people pay into these programs through paycheck deductions and thus are entitled to them. But the right has long been pushing the connotation that entitlement means getting something you donā€™t really deserve, but are taking from others.

1 Like

Yes, entitlement vs. self-entitlement. They depend on their supporters lack of education (or lack of concern) to make the lie work.

8 Likes

Just because they donā€™t pay any taxes doesnā€™t mean the rest of us donā€™t.

7 Likes

Something that is yours as of right!

7 Likes

But thatā€™s the meaning the American right has been poisoning for decades. ā€œThose workers feel entitled to a reasonable wage!ā€ ā€œThose elderly people feel entitled to enough income to survive on, that they paid for with their wages!ā€ ā€œThose poor people feel entitled to access to healthcare!ā€ ā€œThose kids feel entitled to a college education!ā€ The subtext being ā€œand YOU will have to foot the bill!ā€ The idea of taxation as theft and thus the uses of tax money by the government to help the whole society as waste and creating dependency is the lie first widely used by Regan and never let up on since. Basically itā€™s ā€œwhat is mine is mine, and what is yours is mine too.ā€

4 Likes

Is as right wing as Newsweek, but for readers at the 2nd grade level instead of 5th grade.

9 Likes

USA Today: Still good to wrap fish in, line the bird cage and kitty litter box, and for paper machƩ art projects. Beat that one, Newsweek.

Get ready for a laugh (this is not a high quality market analysis butā€¦) :

:interrobang:

Yes.

Uh, does this mean that WSJ and NYT etc. are lowering their standards for grammar, vocabulary, and oh I dunnoā€¦ fact-checking etc.?

5 Likes

If you take a chunk of text from any mainstream liberal, upmarket, English language newspaper and analyse it for reading level, breakdown of parts of speech (% verbs, adverbs, nouns etc.) and the like they will be almost exactly the same All of them. Like down to the 0.1% if you take a few tens of thousands of words from each.

They write in Serious Newsish, the gestalt impact of Serious Newsish on the reader is the most important signifier in their language.

4 Likes
10 Likes

Hmm.

https://www.fullmedia.com/how-do-you-measure-readability

Flesch-Kincaid scores are readability tests designed to show how easy or difficult a text is to read. This score is given in two different ways. First is the ā€œFlesch Reading Easeā€ and the other is ā€œFlesch-Kincaid Grade Levelā€.

The Reading Ease number is from 0 to 100. With a score of 90 to 100 your writing could be understood by an average 11-year old and a score of 60 to 70 could be understood by average 13 to 15-year olds. A score of zero to 30 means your writing could be understood by a university graduate. The higher the score the easier the writing is to read and comprehend.

To give you an idea of where some major publications fall in this range Readerā€™s Digest has a Flesch Reading Ease around 65, Time magazine has a score of 52 and the Harvard Law Review falls somewhere in the low 30s.

The Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level applies a reading grade level to your writing. New York Times articles have a tenth-grade reading level ā€¦

I could not find much on USA Today readability but hereā€™s one:

:woman_shrugging:t5:

Somewhat related:

7 Likes

Sorry, I wasnā€™t really talking about USA today. Iā€™ve never done the above with it but I have with a basket of liberal upmarket newspapers from English speaking countries. From memory we used the NYT, Grauniad, Irish Times, Sydney Morning Herald. Iā€™ve done it to some extent with others and it really is striking how close they all are. We were using corpuses on the same topic though I should stress.

3 Likes

Maybe the words ā€œupmarket, liberalā€ are doing a lot of heavy lifting in that sentence, but there is high variability in the US. Some newspapers are quite literally written for a grade school literacy level, and even some of the ones that would consider themselves ā€œupmarketā€ are written to a middle school level.

7 Likes

:face_holding_back_tears:

:muscle:t5:

14 Likes
10 Likes

They wonā€™t be on databases used for research I guess. NYT, WSJ, WaPo, LA times etc. are the kind of thing that are and they track very closely with international counterparts. There are newspapers internationally that are written very differently too, tabloids we call them here. They have the football and radicalise people towards racism.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not talking about tabloids. Iā€™m talking about regular newspapers.

WSJ would surprise me if itā€™s written above 9th grade level. I mean, MBAs and traders have to read that.

3 Likes
12 Likes