World Politics

A law that cancels freedom of speech!? In Singapore? You don’t say…

Or I guess rather you can’t say…

5 Likes

Immigration news…

I crossed the US/Mexico border between San Diego and Tijuana today, and the news is b.s.

There are no huge crowds of immigrants beating at the door. It was fairly quiet, and there was a short line. I suppose many people are using the online app to set appointments and not have to stand at the gate for hours or days.

11 Likes

Fortunately, several outlets (including NPR and The Guardian) have had stories saying that the situation is pretty calm… so the fear-mongering is not getting everywhere, thankfully.

8 Likes
4 Likes

Shananigans are afoot.

6 Likes

Good news for Thailand, unless the military decides otherwise.

8 Likes

Yeah, the guy from the oposition party thanking the volunteers who came out to protect ballot boxes… yeesh.

4 Likes
3 Likes

Damn!

3 Likes
3 Likes
4 Likes

“… but I’ve made off like a bandit and I’m up to pussy’s bow in consulting gigs for authoritarian ‘conservative’ governments, thinktanks, and speaking gigs, so as far as I’m concerned it’s all turned out as well as I could have expected.”

8 Likes

Usage: Margaret Thatcher’s signature pussycat bow is back in fashion again.

Soo much to unpack there.

2 Likes

I’ve never heard of Margaret Thatcher’s pussycat bow. I guess I’m not that surprised what she liked hunting though.

4 Likes

I, too, had questions.

‘up to pussy’s bow’: meanings and origin – word histories.

6 Likes

Annnd another one that has me scratching my head…

‘I’m full up to dolly’s wax!’

4 Likes

For the second consecutive parliamentary election, Cambodia has disqualified the country’s main opposition party, eliminating the only credible challenge to the ruling party of Prime Minister Hun Sen.

The country’s National Election Commission on Monday refused to register the party, the Candlelight Party, for a general election scheduled in July, saying it had failed to file required paperwork and was therefore ineligible to take part in the contest.

Mr. Hun Sen’s Cambodian People’s Party currently holds all 125 seats in Parliament after government-controlled courts dissolved its main challenger, the Cambodian National Rescue Party, or C.N.R.P., before the 2018 election. The Candlelight Party, with many of the same members, took its place.

Opposition party members said they would appeal the Election Commission ruling. After the C.N.R.P. was dissolved in 2017, Mr. Hun Sen has moved on several fronts to neutralize the remaining opposition. Government-controlled courts convicted about 100 opposition figures of treason and other charges, jailing some and prompting several of its leaders to flee into exile.

Members of the Candlelight Party said the Election Commission had demanded original copies of official party documents, which they said they no longer had because they had been seized in a police raid in 2017.

4 Likes
9 Likes
6 Likes

shocked philip j fry GIF

6 Likes