World's largest cruise ship, "Icon of the Seas," which includes the largest swimming pool at sea and an "Ultimate Family Townhouse" costing $100,000 per week, sets sail on its first voyage

Well on our way toward the Axiom.

18 Likes

some people really like to show off, especially when they have an audience of 7000 other suckers on board with them.

(its a house after all, not a cabin)

4 Likes

It is left as a problem for the student to calculate the blast radius of the LNG tanks detonating in a BLEVE. Assume pi=22/7 and the moon is 384,400km away.

7 Likes

Every “improvement” the cruise industry makes to its offerings makes it less likely I’ll ever set foot on one of these floating petri dishes.

19 Likes

That’s an expensive Las Vegas trip.

6 Likes

Thats It Martin Short GIF by PBS SoCal

8 Likes

Couldn’t they just repurpose a container ship?

Take a cruise on the Appocalypso!

17 Likes

@NukeML blast radius of the LNG tanks detonating in a BLEVE

Bother, I can only find pictures of the tanks and no information on capacity. From the photo, it looks like there’s a lot of insulation there and it’s hard to see the actual size. Probably 4 or 6 rail cars’ worth per tank, times two. Installed horizontally too (although this might be the only time where that’s a good idea).

I kind of regretted not having joined Prof. Birk’s BLEVE lab when I was a grad student in his department (they were clearly having a lot more fun.) Had I gone down that road, I’d have had the answer to your question handy. :grin:

Oooh… so your idea is to cross Carribean cruising with tiny houses built from shipping containers! Genius… :grin:

7 Likes

Maybe they will discover an inhabited island where the indigenous population have a religion based around the rules of association football.

(Based on the 1923 Raith Rovers shipwreck)

8 Likes

Beat me to it!

7 Likes

:musical_note: Come aboard
COVID’s expecting you… :musical_note:

10 Likes

All the fun of being on a cruise ship, plus being in your own exclusive McMansion so you don’t have to mix with the Lesser Folks.

7 Likes

Goodness. Youve managed to combine the hatred if cruise ships with the impracticallity of container homes in one post. Bravo!

14 Likes

Glad to see the crypto angle. I was thinking either that, or runs out of fuel mid-cruise due to clandestine bitcoin mining operating.

9 Likes

and the common folks have their fun on RickMycrofts apocalypso. /s

3 Likes

Pirates with Priapism

One of the songs expurgated from Gilbert and Sullivan’s works

9 Likes

Why do you think the rich have been spending the last century driving icebergs to near extinction?

8 Likes

Homes? No, just raw containers for that Human Occupied Landfill experience.

3 Likes

Prototype for Space Ark “B”

7 Likes

Indeed, COVID or norovirus is where my money is. :roll_eyes:

Though I wish them all a pleasant, safe voyage, I have my doubts.

4 Likes