World's oldest two-faced cat dies

[Permalink]

Would a 2 faced animal be considered a chimera, conjoined, or how would one consider classifying it?

1 Like

Although classically considered conjoined twinning (which it resembles), this anomaly is not normally due to the fusion or incomplete separation of two embryos. It is the result of abnormal activity by the protein SHH (sonic hedgehog).
Diprosopus - Wikipedia

4 Likes

I love that scientists decided to officially name this critical protein Sonic Hedgehog.

1 Like

Really cool, thanks. I know i had learned about the mutation before but couldn’t for the life of me remember the precise details.

I didn’t realize there was an extensive two-faced cat community. What is the age of the oldest living two-faced cat?

1 Like

Sure its impressive that an animal with 2 faces could live so long, i think you’d be more amazed about an animal surviving without a head . For reals.

2 Likes

Staining patterns

3 Likes

As soon as the oldest two-faced cat dies, a new cat becomes the oldest two-faced cat. Kind of like the Dalai Lama.

3 Likes

I never trusted that cat.

3 Likes

the wiki linked above said that Frank & Louie became the oldest on record when he hit 12 yo. It also said they’re known as Janus cats after the mythological figure.

But the current oldest living janus cat is…?

Poor thing. Well at least unlike most cats, he could clean his butthole and privates at the same time

1 Like

15 is a pretty good lifespan for any cat.

Although he would never admit it, Spider Jerusalem is sad.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.