Would fashion week attendees pretend to know about made-up designers? Yes

What would a luck dragon know about shoes?

Get in my police box, and come with me to ancient Greece. We’re going to take in a few Aristophanes plays. Maybe hang out in the agora for a bit…anyway, leaving my pretensions over there for a moment, it’s not really unique to us mod’ren folk. It’s just that these days we can communicate our us-versus-themness more broadly and rapidly than ever before, and make lots of money off it if we’ve got the drive and, yes, the passion, to be dicks for the amusement of other people.

Eh, they wouldn’t listen if you tried.

That they are chewy and taste great with ketchup.

2 Likes

I don’t think those are fashion designers - they’re design students. And yes, it is deadly important that they already know everything worth knowing.

I was more thinking about the “If we give a gun to everybody on their 16th birthday, we could greatly reduce gun and other violence because an armed society is a polite society”.

Well, come on over to new york city and I’ll introduce you to some. And not just NYC- I see this new “centrist liberal democrat” POV reflected everywhere. Obviously there are liberals that don’t fit this category- generalizations by their nature are just that- generalizations. I’m about as liberal as they come- but when I see what passes for the term “liberal” these days, I barely identify with that point of view. I’m certainly not a conservative by any stretch of the imagination, either.

The actual definitions of both “liberal” and “conservative” have been so bastardized, they have ceased to mean anything useful. If you are a genuine liberal in the real sense of the word, then what I’m saying doesn’t apply to you. Anyway, this has strayed far from the silly fashion kids trying to one-up each other happening a mere few blocks from me.

I know I’m not in the fashion industry, but would have trouble taking fashion advice from anybody dressed like that.

I doubt anyone wearing a “GANGNAM STYLE” baseball cap in September 2013 knows anything about actual fashion designers, much less fictional ones. Also the green-haired kid has a lot of chutzpah (or obliviousness) to be condescending to anyone.

But people who deride of this type of fashion show fail to understand an important point: For the most part, these aren’t clothes meant for wearing even as costumes; they’re art pieces. Some will have distant influences on actual clothing lines. Making fun of them for being ridiculous things to wear in public is like making fun of installation art because you can’t hang it over your sofa.

(I bet you could do this same gag at most any gallery opening, btw.)

I think you should have said ‘the appearance of social status and the illusion of being in the know’…

I have a long line of these people right around the corner from work, here in London.

They’re funny.

There used to be show on TV in Aus where an guy would interview Footy* players after a match and ask them a few questions. One of the questions would always include a fake word just to see how they’d react. Results were hilarious.

“So you’ve played well, how do you find working with the new team?”
“Yeah great, I’m still getting to know the players strengths so it will take a bit of time to adjust, but I think its going really well”.
“And how do you your team handled all the reachaporious play that Blues were using today?”
“Oh yeah, we uhh, yeah, well we put in our best took a real team effort and I think we managed to block a lot of the reachiponos play ok”.

• This example is made up unfortunately. I don’t have a clue what the show was called anymore.

*that’s Aussie Rules Football, which bares very little resemblance to either European or American Football. Gaelic football is probably the

Fooling interviewees has been done many times; just Google “rick mercer americans” for example. Ask a silly question of enough people…

Your metaphor was the perfect example of cheap indeed.

1 Like

Perfect timing, considering the issue of suicidal thoughts among teenagers.

Including Mike Huckabee, governor at the time.

This works with almost anyone: Humans are typically afraid of looking stupid on camera, and they are eager to tell the interviewer and the camera what they believe they are expected to say.

I have been trying to dig up a copy, but years ago, a CBC show did a one-hour episode on essentially the human effect on surveys and statistics. The show covered how humans consistently exhibit squirrely behaviour when placed in front of a TV camera with a mic in their face. It covered rigging taste tests (two cups of soda from the same bottle; people found a difference), rigging taste tests very overtly (single-product “market research” test, bottle containing 2 parts soda, 1 part vinegar; testers performed spit takes and then said it was delicious), how inaccurate telemarketing is and how frequently telemarketers seemed (at the time) to violate the regulations about not speaking to minors, aaaaand of course, the above effect was demonstrated in a few ways.

One segment consisted of the camera crew going down to the US and asking Americans on the street for their opinion on that controversial female daytime talk show host, Knowlton Nash. Of course everyone had something to say about her controversial practices with sheep on her show, yet there were spirited discussions of her freedom of speech rights versus obscenity laws. From then on, every time the show went to commercial, it did so by showing a billboard with some hot chick in an ad, and then Knowlton’s face would morph in over hers. (For people who don’t get the joke and are too lazy to click through to Wikipedia, Knowlton Nash is a deeply respected old-man-of-journalism in Canada, and he was retiring or retired by the time this aired.)

Another segment consisted of going to New York City and doing another round of man-on-the-street interviews. At this time, Washington, BC, and Alaska were involved in disputes over what each country’s fair share of the salmon stocks, which began their run in Alaska, swam through BC waters, and then were fished in US waters further south. Naturally, this meant asking people on their opinion about the ongoing BC-Washington silverfish dispute. While people were talking, little cartoon silverfish would crawl up over their shoulders into frame and such and generally crawl on them while they were talking.

The money shot was asking this gruff Italian-type guy what he would say if he could turn to the camera and say anything to the Canadian people. “Get outta ouh wauttuhs.”

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.