Would fashion week attendees pretend to know about made-up designers? Yes

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2013/09/13/would-fashion-week-attendees-p.html

George Costanza is completely overrated. I personally prefer Art Vandelay.

4 Likes

And you want to be my latex salesman.

1 Like

Dave Hill’s been doing this for ages. (go to 1:20)

1 Like

So kind of a lot of tech journalists discussing the finer points of Apple, Google and Samsung.

2 Likes

Teach your children: It’s okay to not know absolutely everything about your fandom. In fact, learning about new stuff is more fun than being the person who knows it all first/already.

21 Likes

It feels kind of cheap to go after fashion designers for being a bit mental and snobbish. It’s kind of like sneaking into a Republican Convention and trying to get people to admit they have crazy ideas about guns.

6 Likes

They’re easy targets, no doubt about that - But the point is that these idiots have too much influence as it is, and exposing their smug stupidity IS a public service.

That’s probably one of the first times that the words “cheap” and “fashion designers” have been used in the same sentence together.

1 Like

That’s fun too.

I take it you don’t watch The Daily Show. Stewart & Co. have hardly backed away from all those issues.

And right-wing satirists make fun of the left all the time, they just aren’t very good at it.

9 Likes

You should watch the Daily Show sometime.

And I’m seconds too late!

I watch clips online when friends send stuff to me- they can be quite funny, for sure, but there’s still a clear “don’t bite the hand that feeds you” vibe going on, which I totally get. It’s a gigantic show on the biggest entertainment conglomerate in the world; they can only go so far before risking alienating their fan base.

And the Daily Show is one, compared to the hundreds on the other side. I get that right-wingers try to make fun of the left and fail miserably… I just regret that our society is so fractured at this point that it’s all about picking a side and then trashing the other side, rather than being honest about ourselves…

2 Likes

By anyone not employed by one.

2 Likes

I admit I haven’t watched the video but this seems a bit unfair. I’d wager most Fasion Week attendees are in the industry, an industry where social status and being in the know is very important. So they would have a legitimate financial motive to bluff.

That’s what makes this different than the earlier ‘experiment’ on Coachella attendees.

1 Like

So important even imaginary designers are know!

Dude in yellow was WORKING that uniboot.

2 Likes

OMG! Let’s talk about shoes!

2 Likes

The craziest idea about guns I heard is that taking them from lawful citizens will somehow make criminals give them up.

2 Likes