Would you drive up Japan's Rollercoaster Bridge?

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/05/10/this-bridge-in-japan-is-so-steep-its-known-as-the-rollercoaster-bridge.html

7 Likes

Snl Season 47 GIF by Saturday Night Live

But I guess it depends if there is an alternative route…

11 Likes

Driving across the old bridges in Charleston SC in the early 1990s was terrifying enough.

9 Likes

Here, in Brum, when I was a kid, there used to be a very narrow fly-over that was quite exciting to go over on the top deck of a double-decker bus.

DKFyL1GXoAE3bkD

18 Likes

“A Bridge Too Steep”

Novel excerpt. Child: “Don’t wanna go on the roller-coaster bridge!”

6 Likes

5-6% grade isn’t all that steep, I don’t see what the big deal is. 5% isn’t even enough to warrant a sign - I can’t recall ever seeing one for less than 6% grade and in my RV I pay close attention to such things.

10 Likes

Ah, reminds me of the Zilwaukee Bridge! There are people who are more terrified by this bridge than they are of the expanded-metal decking lane of the Mackinac Bridge.

9 Likes

Literally I have nightmares of driving on a bridge that just goes up and up and up…

6 Likes

This Norwegian (Bond movie) bridge is quite a stomach churner

12 Likes

That’s pretty, but I think that there’s a certain American bridge that may win the “stomach churning” competition.

fark_XOYNySM6NpSIS9eBr6OFXz_dR4Y

11 Likes

If I have a car with has got a cop motor, a 440-cubic-inch plant, it’s got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks , and if it’s a model made before catalytic converters so it’ll run good on regular gas, no problem.

14 Likes

The pictures certainly make it look daunting and I’m sure seeing it at the right angles from the ground level would also be intimidating. Realistically, I suspect it’s not that bad when you’re actually driving on it. Perspective is an amazing way to mess with your brain!

Yeah, me too, although I usually hit a point where there’s no longer a bridge - either somehow landing in a field or something equally unlikely. (No injuries, but I’m always concerned about the damage to my car.)

4 Likes

Come to Pittsburgh where many of the sidewalks are instead stairways. Some of the roadways feel terrifying to go down since they’re so steep and sometimes narrow with many heading straight for a river. For instance Rialto St, a 20 foot wide two lane road with a 24% grade.

9 Likes

Not Gonna Happen No Way GIF by FaZe Clan

5 Likes

Animated GIF

5 Likes

Start slow - walk on a rollercoaster bridge first!

English page (with, for some reason, German onebox):

10 Likes
9 Likes

Been there, down that.

There is nothing unusual about the bridge. It only appears to be steep in photos taken from a distance with a long lens.

7 Likes

I used to have a recurring dream that I was driving up a hill so steep that the car tipped over backwards. This is not as steep as my dream, but now I’m scared to go to sleep.

3 Likes
8 Likes