The Royal Gorge is the highest suspension bridge in the USA

Originally published at: The Royal Gorge is the highest suspension bridge in the USA | Boing Boing

Neat! I think I could maybe walk the bridge if there weren’t too many other people on it. But the zip line and swing thing would big time no’s.

3 Likes

I like that they captured the no fishing sign at the halfway point.

9 Likes

I’d bring knee pads, you know, in case of sudden crawling.

7 Likes

Elbow pads too…sploot your way across.

13 Likes

I walked across that bridge and drove an old Pontiac across in another lifetime. Drove that same Pontiac up Pikes Peak.

Rode the incline railway to the bottom.

I need a road trip.

5 Likes

I am scared of heights, but have been across that bridge. I just didn’t go too close to the edge.

4 Likes

956 feet above the Arkansas River. It’s over 4 football fields long

4 football fields, eh?

The Royal Gorge Bridge held the world record for the highest bridge until 2001.

2 Likes

Nope. Went once and it made me feel sick. The wood boards you walk (or sploot) across have gaps that let you see down to the bottom. When I went cars were allowed and the boards bounced up and down as they passed by.

My husband had no problem walking the bridge, but couldn’t stomach the idea of taking the gondola. Ironically the gondola doesn’t bother me at all.

BTW. If you do go, try to get to the bottom of the gorge when a train goes by. The roar and echo are amazing.

5 Likes

My fear of heights came upon me later in life but it’s pretty powerful. I think I’ll just avoid the area altogether, thanks. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I keep scanning the thread as:

The Royal Corge is the highest suspension bridge in the USA

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.