The Sky Bridge 721 is the world's longest pedestrian suspension bridge

Originally published at: The Sky Bridge 721 is the world's longest pedestrian suspension bridge - Boing Boing

2 Likes

Two things come to mind.

The word “Nope!”, over and over,

and the catwalks used by construction workers on the Brooklyn Bridge:
Brooklyn-Bridge-catwalk-2700gty-56a488545f9b58b7d0d76f17

Brooklyn-Bridge-catwalk-2700gty-56a488545f9b58b7d0d76f17_A

7 Likes

For anyone on the North American continent, the Capilano Suspension Bridge in British Columbia is a little closer to home.

4 Likes

It should be noted that Washington Roebling’s wife, Emily, handled the bridge’s construction after he fell ill. This from copilot… which checks with what I learned from Ken Burn’s BB documentary: After Washington Roebling, the chief engineer of the Brooklyn Bridge, developed caisson disease and became bedridden, his wife, Emily Warren Roebling, took over much of the chief engineer duties, including day-to-day supervision and project management. She served as a liaison and supervisor of construction through communicating between her husband and on-site personnel. Emily Roebling developed an extensive knowledge of strength of materials, stress analysis, cable construction, and calculating catenary curves through Washington’s teachings. Her contributions over a period of more than 10 years to the completion of the Brooklyn Bridge were invaluable.

12 Likes

I know I’m just going to sound like an old grump, but I’ve long been bothered by terms like ‘air bridge’ or ‘sky bridge’.

Like, isn’t that just every bridge? If it’s not a ‘sky bridge’ then presumably it can only be either a road or a tunnel?

Of course, there is the Skye Bridge to consider… Which is fine by me.

3 Likes

It doesn’t look particularly gritty. Maybe if it were a super windy day I’d reconsider, but it’s in relatively new condition, seems robust, doesn’t have limb-sized holes to slip into, and if there was a refreshing beverage at the other end, it’d be a happy arrival.

Every day you wait it gets older, so I wouldn’t be as excited about testing their commitment to maintenance in 10 years or so.

1 Like

Sure, why not.

1 Like

I’m absolutely glad for those that want to walk it, I’m going to be over here with a hearty “Hell no! I’ll take the long way around, thank you.”

2 Likes

makes me think people should start setting up shops and houses there old london bridge style. good real estate 95 meters up. nice views

eta:

i could do it if crawling across it was an option. i think…

3 Likes

Many years ago, an ex and I visited the House on the Rock with its “Infinity Room.” (There are pictures in the Wikipedia article, but they really don’t properly convey the feeling.) I was able to walk out into it, but between the mirrors and the many windows, I simply froze and could not move, even to back up. She had to come out and get me.

I suspect I would have similar results on a bridge like this one!

4 Likes

oh yeah! i’ve heard of that place from “american gods.” it sounds quite something.

i sometimes convince myself i’m okay with heights. and then i get in a normal sized ferris wheel or something. :blush:

1 Like

Major Eleanor Roosevelt vibes.
Interesting article on Emily Warren Roebling from the American Society of Civil Engineers.

1 Like

If anything, Neil Gaiman actually downplayed the weirdness to be found there. If you’re ever in the area, it’s very much worth a look. (Allocate a lot of time for it, though.)

1 Like

I’ve been wanting to go to that ever since I read American Gods… I have relatively recently been to Rock City, though, and it’s still awesome.

2 Likes

Absofuckinglutely not. No. :face_with_spiral_eyes:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.