Wozniak quits Facebook

I’m sure as hell not going to use Twitter or Tumblr.

1 Like

I think there are many places to jump ship but the problem, to paraphrase gibson, is that they’re all unevenly distributed. Being unable to imagine a world without facebook is what made the repost of that “old” guardian article about the seemingly unchallenged dominance of myspace such remarkable reading.

2 Likes

You realize that Mark Zuckerberg was literally pooping his diapers when Woz left Apple, right? He was one year old.

4 Likes

No… of course not.

I lament the lack of people with relevant experience and a clue; that said, while I don’t know you personally, I’m going to say something maybe a little obvious, maybe a little obtuse?

We’ll fund your kickstarter.

1 Like

Any chance of the Happy Mutants setting up an experimental Diaspora “pod” here where we could make accounts (disassociated from our BBS accounts)? Perhaps charge a small annual fee to join after a free beta period? I know you folks have a lot on your plate, but if more content sites like BB offered this to user communities that already trust them there might be more adoption of that platform, with network effects following.

From what I see, Diaspora still needs a lot of work on UI/UX and intuitiveness for the average non-techie user, so making it a success would require contributions from any site hosting a pod. But if enough content sites run by talented people joined the federated network and joined forces it might turn into something.

3 Likes

if only they had coding genius’ and willing early adopters with ‘binders’ full of other smart-ish early adopters just laying around begging to be “exploited” by Skynet, or whatever they name it.

I’d quite happily put in the effort for any project once it reached sufficient critical mass. This is why we run a tor exit node, after all.

Problem is, AFAIK nothing is even close yet. As I said in my last comment, I hope some cohesion and direction on a replacement project is one concrete outcome from this new privacy kick. If that happens, we’ll do our best to be a part of it.

2 Likes

I had to re-read this post imagining the voice of Comic Book Guy before it made any sense.

2 Likes

Can I be smug that I never joined?

2 Likes

Schism! Schism!

5 Likes

It’s not exactly like Facebook but Mastodon is a really nice, full(er) featured Twitter-like system that is constantly growing and (at the moment at least) lacks the hate and vitriol of Twitter. It’s federated, like email or Diaspora but it’s easy to sign up for a free account on one of the many existing nodes, you should create a account and have a look around!

I can be found at:

1 Like

Understood. Yet, not enough to quit. Meanwhile, businesses, family and friends continue to use FB knowing their data is being sold and used for evil. Feeding the Beast continues.

Hopefully BB will relocate from FB some day. They do not deserve you.

2 Likes

Comparing a service to Twitter isn’t much of a selling point to me. Still its great that Mastodon is doing its own thing, i’m holding out until a more direct alternative to FB comes along.

All hail The Mighty Woz!

via Imgflip Meme Generator

1 Like

If you want FB-like interaction without the ads or privacy-molestation, MeWe might be your brew. The crowd there is small, but growing. It’s backed by - among others - Tim Berners-Lee.

I’ll keep an eye on that, thanks :slight_smile:

Why we don’t have an alternative to facebook? Don’t other guys want to be rich? :confused: When I came to know about this news, i searched for what kind of information they store, so i came across an article where they have mentioned what facebook and google knows about you — and I was so shocked to see that they don’t only know about my past but they can predict my future as well :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: