Wrapped: magical short film about mutant monster ivy that engulfs New York City

Also 3. Ignorant about how fabric actually works. (You never see Spider-Man’s leotard go that far up his butt crack.)

3 Likes

Most definitely. Female superhero/supervillain costumes tend to be wildly impractical and would be uncomfortable walking “wardrobe malfunctions”. [new Batgirl and Ms. Marvel are the most notable exceptions]

Plus the poses get me thinking that the artists believe female spines are made of Jell-O. Capable of bending in all sorts of weird contortions.

2 Likes

Perhaps; although I’d say there are likely two major factors that contribute to the way females in mainstream comics are drawn:

Indulgence in unattainable fantasy, and the fact that sex sells.

You mean like the fact that natural boobs don’t “hover,” in complete defiance of gravity?

*lolz

2 Likes

That looked like a bioengineered weapon that got away from someone, or was deliberately dropped on us by an alien species. Brrr.

3 Likes

Indulgence in unattainable fantasy, and the fact that sex sells.

That and the kind of thinking that only young boys buy comic books or stuff related to them.

Its annoying because you get a cartoon series like Young Justice, which tended to have women drawn with somewhat credible proportions cancelled, because it was popular with young girls but not didn’t score as well with the toy/comic buying boy market.

2 Likes

Or grown men with the mentality/emotional maturity of young boys.

2 Likes

Imagine it as a foreign plant species imported to the US because “it looks really neat in a pot” getting loose but doesn’t have the natural endangered herbivore consumers in whatever remote corner of the globe it came from.

[Werner Herzog narrating]
“Without the presence of the rare Congolese Jungle Sheep, the grabber ivy grows and consumes everything in its path. It is impervious to conventional herbicides and fire resistant…”

1 Like

Its annoying.

On one hand I am a dirty old man and have no problem with pneumatic female pulchritude in any form.

On the other is I have a young niece who I want to introduce to fun mutant popular culture. Although comics were a major part in developing my strange tastes, I feel really uncomfortable about introducing many of titles to her. Plus there is only so much pony and disney related stuff I can tolerate without reverse peristalsis.

2 Likes

I think I may actually like you, based solely on your correct use of the uncommon word “pulchritude.

It’s official;

*lolz

1 Like

Luckily for your niece (not to mention my nieces and goddaughter) there are online communities of diverse but supportive and intelligent communities where an individual may safely admit that the aesthetic appeal of certain illustrated proportions may not be entirely intellectual but can also discuss why the preponderance of such representations is problematic and be led to alternatives that likely wouldn’t have been carried in comic book stores of yore.

That’s one of the things I envy about those growing up with the internet, even if it is hard sometimes to separate the wheat from the virtual chaff.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.