WSJ uncovers Facebook's secret policy that allows "elite" users to bully people and incite violence

I can’t; I’ve never had a Facebook account! As Robert Heinlein wrote: TANSTAAFL (there’s ain’t no such thing as a free lunch). I know, I’m just a bitter old cynic. :wink:

6 Likes

Goes perfect with unethical and immoral human experimentation, and overthrowing elections.

3 Likes

If something a celebrity posts breaks TOS in a way that the automated tools would kill a normie’s account, then they should get theirs killed too.

This isn’t about reporting. This is turning off the automated tools that check the content of a user’s posts. That they can’t be banned for breaking the rules they agreed to is ridiculous, regardless of how fancy they think their pants are.

8 Likes

IMHO, it’s more of the following:

A: Oh, no, (insert celeb here) is posting **** again. What do we do?

B: Nothing.

A: What do you mean nothing? Isn’t that our job? To review stuff?

B: If (celeb) complains to The Zuck, and demands a head, or wants to sue us, whose job do you think is on the line?

A: … I sorta see your point. But isn’t that legal department’s problem?

B: Their job is to cover the company’s butt, not your job or mine.

A: So you’ll let it slide.

B: Do you really want to bother the supe for this? You know s/he will kick it right back to us and told us to “handle” it, then blame us if something goes wrong.

A: So it’s "damned if we do, damned if we don’t "

B: Way above our pay grade.

3 Likes

Yeah, I’d just enforce the rule and get fired. Jobs aren’t worth my integrity.

4 Likes

Um, you might want to be careful quoting Heinlein in a sentence about what’s wrong with Facebook. He was pretty darned faschy and the worst kind of libertarian bro.

6 Likes

I’m quite aware of Heinlein’s failings; he was even kidded and mocked by his peers for his limited experience with the real world and unrealistic worldview. TANSTAAFL is still an excellent cautionary acronym, though.

1 Like

Obligs, once again:

The real war, the one that’s already being fought, isn’t a war between countries, or “liberal” vs “conservative.”

No, that stuff is a way to keep us from seeing the forest and the trees, as they are burning down all around us.

The real war is between wealth and accountability, and it’s been going on since civilization began.

13 Likes

Once again, more scheißberg than zuckerberg

3 Likes

I love that. What’s it from?

4 Likes

Ed Brubaker’s Kill or Be Killed

6 Likes

F_c_ F_c_book.

3 Likes

Kill or Be Killed by Ed Brubaker.

John Rodgers put me onto it…

7 Likes

Thanks!

3 Likes

Facebook is my go-to community space for being a self-righteous asshole.

2 Likes

Then you definitely want to avoid Locals.com, which advertised itself as a haven for folks who don’t want to be limited by Youtube or Facebook and such.

2 Likes

Endorsed by Tulsi Gabbard and Scott Adams?

giphy

8 Likes

It’s one that is often wilfully misunderstood for political purposes. I don’t think Heinlein expanded it beyond financial cost, so he and all the other ayn-caps failed to understand that their tax-free lunch comes at the cost of increased crime, homelessness and sickness.

3 Likes

I appreciate the intention to be free from YT’s inconsistent handling of prohibited content, but THAT place turned into an alt-right red-pill antivax cesspool, which may have been the intention all along, who knows.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.