Wtf is secret rune?

I took the liberty of adding a screenshot to the first post in case anyone is curious about this like I was.

6 Likes

I think people like to share stories from a variety of places and might not share bb stories as much because they donā€™t want to spoil the illusion of variety by posting everything from bb as a source.

8 Likes

I havenā€™t seen it yet except that I saw it mentioned and checked the demo on their site. That kind of functionality seems more appropriate for a browser plugin - the people who want it would want it to work everywhere and those who donā€™t just wouldnā€™t install it - rather than as part of a siteā€™s 3rd party support scripts. But on the other hand ā€œlike this, share this, tweet thisā€ links have been around on so many sites for ages now, some people might think thatā€™s normal and how it should be.

3 Likes

Unfortunate model.

16 Likes

I thought I was the only one who did that. Iā€™ll share links to a storyā€™s original source as often as possible, unless the BB post adds significant clarity, perspective, or collates several sources.

4 Likes

Well, Iā€™ll admit, I do pay attention to highlighted passages in my kindle ebooks. Itā€™s like reading notes that previous readers have written in the margins. But I can see how it could drive others to distraction. (Which is why the app allows you to turn the feature off.)

If youā€™re inclined and youā€™re using uBlock, go to the dashboard, my rules tab ā€¦ press the edit button under Temporary rules, and add:

Once youā€™ve verified that it works, you can click the commit button.

I added this but I still see itā€¦

Dunno what to tell you. It took care of it for me. Maybe try ambiguatorā€™s suggested edits.

Opt in?

2 Likes

If only the internets were pay-by-default, or opt-in for ads!

3 Likes

Privacy Badger seems to get rid of it pretty well. Although, I did manually go and choose to block it.

Edit: Beat to the punch.

1 Like

Please, please, please kill this with fire. Iā€™m a lot LESS likely to share stories when Iā€™m putting my recipientā€™s privacy at risk.

5 Likes

They should work on their name as well, ā€œsecretruneā€ sounds like a massively shady widget name.

5 Likes

so ā€œrussianphishingā€ is a bad name for my new ipo? ( we send tackle and lures direct by drone to your boat. :wink: )

9 Likes

I usually browse BB from my phone and hadnā€™t seen any of this Rune nonsense. Iā€™m sitting at a desktop PC and turned off uBlock as well as Ghostery and Iā€™m still not seeing anything out of sorts.

ĀÆ\_(惄)_/ĀÆ

What am I doing wrong? I want to join the rabble with the rest of you fine folks.

2 Likes

BAM!!!

3 Likes

Iā€™m curious - how is the experiment going? is there any take-up of SecretRune?

3 Likes

Another anti-secret rune vote. Its effing creepy. Please get rid of it.

5 Likes

5 Likes

Well itā€™s preventing me from selecting text to copy/paste, search with google, etc.

So please remove it. Itā€™s dumb. It reduces basic functionality to enhance hypothetical functionality.

13 Likes