Wtf is secret rune?

My favorite UI engineer would have a seething fit over that. (something, something, overloading functions…)

2 Likes

If there’s an opt-out (boo, hiss, should be opt-in), it’s not obvious. And I’m not creating an account to get rid of this floating detritus.

3 Likes

Interestingly if you google for “secret rune” it returns no hits on http://secretrune.com

3 Likes

I noticed that, too. I concluded that this is in pre-release, and boingboing users are the guinea pigs.

I’d say it’s going swimmingly, wouldn’t you?

8 Likes

I love bb, but ublocked.

4 Likes

Thank you to everyone for your replies on this thread. This is a massively irritating and invasive change, but the suggestion for adding the UBlock rule got rid of it for me.

6 Likes

For people who don’t read the discussion boards, how about posting a story explaining what this is, and update the story when they fix the bug? [IMO not having a way to disable this intrusive software is a bug. Your opinion may vary.] Thanks.

1 Like

Xeni will handle it when she returns. She manages our social media and sharing. X wanted to gather data on how it works while she was out.

10 Likes

Rune seems to interfere with a couple of chrome extensions that work for people with disabilities (including one that reads text aloud for the visually impaired). This is a problem. Please tell me there is a way to opt out of it now?

7 Likes

There’s numerous strategies upthread on how to defeat this.

1 Like

I also found this page by Googling Rune Malware. I hope nobody gets in trouble for doing this, we all make mistakes, but please let me opt out under the settings.

Thanks ficuswhisperer. I will confess I only skimmed the responses posted by Boing Boing’s Publisher yesterday, then got called afk.

1 Like

It’s kind of an annoying work-around, but you can close the pop-up after you’ve highlighted the text and then copy (ctrl-C or command-C, depending upon platform). But if you click anywhere while it’s highlighted is pops back up.

Has any further decision been made about this addon?

1 Like

Oh god it’s on my phone now! I somehow banished it from my desktop, now it’s on my phone! Does anyone know where I can get a cootie shot?

5 Likes

Draw a circle on the screen on your phone, then a circle on the back.
Put a dot into the middle of the circle on the screen, and then a dot into the middle of the circle on the back.

And then go to the nearest lake and skip your phone across the water. If you get more than five skips, your phone has been immunized.

13 Likes

Are sparks supposed to come shooting out?

6 Likes

Yep! That’s the secret rune making its escape!

8 Likes

Turned up for me today; I don’t know why the delay. I tried to find an opt-out option in the terms and conditions, but no luck. So I got an extension called jsblocker for Safari, which seems to have done the job.

Has any further decision been made about this addon?
@xeni

1 Like