Wyoming the last U.S. state with no Covid-19 deaths yet reported

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/07/wyoming-the-last-u-s-state-wi.html

4 Likes

There can’t be any confirmed COVID deaths if there aren’t any COVID test kits.

“A coroner in Wyoming, the only state that still hasn’t reported any deaths due to the virus, said he seriously doubts its official death count, and told CNN he hasn’t been able to test a number of suspected cases.”

29 Likes

Finland, however, is doing even better, with “-1” deaths.

That is just a rounding error when you convert from metric to standard.

16 Likes

Key word here is “reported”. Numbers are easy to fudge and there seems to be a lot of political motivation to skew the numbers as well besides the lack of testing kits.

7 Likes
3 Likes

Meanwhile, idiots in the state next door are looking to change that.

11 Likes

Finland’s healthcare system is obviously far superior than the US’s :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Exactly. So 32 deaths in the US is what…? Zero in metric countries?

2 Likes

Wyoming. Practicing social distancing since 1890!

Seriously though, only like half-a-million people live in the whole state. They have the second lowest population density after Alaska.

7 Likes

Also, 82 million people died in Vatican City. That’s quite a feat for a country with a population of [checks Wikipedia] 618.

12 Likes

@beschizza : one g. “Es beginnt.” I suppose.

I’m not sure what @Afelia means.
But it’s a little early for Easter. As far as I know, since Easter is always the first Sunday after a full moon in spring, this can’t even be due to any calender reform.

Anyway, it’s quite fitting that this is coming from Finland.

2 Likes

Don’t you hate it when you accidentally sort just the one column instead of the whole table?

2 Likes

Metric is standard.

5 Likes

Just curious - how does being “metric dead” differ from being “SAE or Imperial Dead”?

I read it as there is someone in Finland that was raised from the dead by the coronavirus.

3 Likes

Yes, it’s the standard example that DC statehood proponents like to bring up – “There are more people living in Washington DC than in all of Wyoming!”

3 Likes

Well Americans on average are much larger people. Pretty sure you need like 1.8 metric dead to equal on American. Or something like that. Math isn’t my strong suite.

10 Likes

So another thing Wyoming has more electoral college seats than it has.

Like escalators.

5 Likes

It’s the same map! Population density.

4 Likes

Finland… tallying “-1” deaths.

So a baby was born with coronavirus?

2 Likes

Even in New York the Covid-19 deaths have almost certainly been drastically undercounted. For example, the number of people dying at home is about 10 times as high as usual. If you die without making it to a hospital you probably won’t make it into the official death count either.

Of course, some of those deaths could also be attributed to “people who had non-Covid-related ailments but stayed home because the hospitals are overcrowded plague pits right now.”

12 Likes