Xitter tries so hard to find offense in Tim Walz's tacos

This.

It’s probably true of lots of different people, not just white males. There are people who have very sensitive taste buds (so-called “super tasters.”)

I don’t cook certain things for my mother anymore because I can never tone it down enough for her, even black pepper is too much, whereas I eat spicy kimchee right out of the jar.

15 Likes

Peppercorns right out of the bag are a wonderful little snack.

8 Likes

A far-right “comedian” that only further proves the point that these things can’t mix successfully.

Relevant meme is relevant:
oh-so-youre-f3ajik

And seriously, white people and low tolerance for spicy food is a harmless stereotype made in good fun by a white guy.

I don’t know what “black guy taco” is supposed to mean other than the preamble to a racist statement (which was then helpfully provided — but only as an example you guys, totally not racist).

23 Likes

This would be my brother, who got 100% of our 25% Swedish heritage. I’m certainly not “tears of pure capsaicin” but I do enjoy some pretty spicy Mexican and Thai dishes. White guys vary, I guess, as you said.

13 Likes

But we can’t jump, right; or is that just me?

6 Likes

Well, when I was swimming, we tested verticals and I was absolutely last at a dazzling 17 inches. So for me, yes, that is a true stereotype.

9 Likes

30 Likes

The more I think about this the more dumb this “outrage” is. Stereotypes and racial humor don’t have to be offensive. They can be lighthearted and funny like this example as long as you’re not punching down.

If you’re a white person and you hear something like, “lol white people don’t like spicy food” if your response is not one of: “hah so true I can’t take the heat” or “actually, I tolerate it fine”, but instead it’s, “omg culture war reverse racism anti-white so offended” maybe you’re the asshole here.

ETA and c’mon, Harris’ “like mayonnaise and tuna?” response to Walz’s “white guy tacos” was fucking hilarious. Do you think Trump and Vance ever have conversations like that? It’s probably all, “grumble grumble trans grumble woke grumble fetus grumble illegals” assuming they ever actually even talk. I mean what does your average 40 year old and 80 year old even really talk about?

24 Likes

Story time. Was at a fairly nice Asian restaurant a few years back. It had a “back page” of dishes made in “authentic style.” So I flip to that and order something (forgot what it was) and have the waiter look at me aghast. “No, that’s for Asian people. White people don’t like it.”
“No, this is what I want to order. It’ll be fine.”
After arguing back and forth, he finally takes the order. When it arrives, I dive in and comment that it wasn’t that spicy at all.
“Oh, yes, we made it ‘white people hot.’ Was it too hot for you?”
Sigh…

22 Likes

Seth Meyers Idk GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

11 Likes

It’s ok, he’s white so he’s allowed to use the M-word (mayonnaise)
Also I don’t know why it occurred to me after seeing it ~500 times but I assume the X in Xitter is pronounced “sh”

3 Likes

I got lucky in one of my Chinese places. I was ordering stuff not usually ordered and did so regularly. The waiter started making recommendations off of the Chinese side of the menu, the stuff that was never even translated into English. Shame they ended up closing, it seems like every good Chinese place we find ends up closing :cry: . That spot is a Cuban restaurant now, so it’s not all bad.

I’ve found when I order spicy somewhere, I ask for medium level for a native, spicy / hot for a white person that gets me about the level I want.

16 Likes

Michael Scott Wink GIF

4 Likes

No joke. I had a friend in high school that thought bananas were a little spicy.

13 Likes

Yes, “Xi” as in Xi Jinping.

6 Likes

There’s a Salvadoran spot I sometimes go to, and if I order in English they give it to me not-so-spicy. If I order in Spanish (and keep my words to a minimum so they don’t notice my gringo accent) they give it to me almost unbearably spicy. I’ve resorted to ordering in English then putting on as much hot-sauce as I desire to get it right.

11 Likes

… just look at them :hot_pepper:

20 Likes

First define “man”.

5 Likes

Joy Reid was just laughing at all of this.

She ended with that’s what Harris and Walz are about, the right to not use spice or use not use spice.

She also defended my right to use Lawry’s Season Salt.

That being said, my favorite comfort meal is twice ground ground beef with salt and ketchup on a hot dog bun.

And our authentic taco recipe is ground beef and a packet of authentic taco seasoning mix from the taco aisle at the grocery store with pre packaged shredded Mexican cheese.

10 Likes

Yeah, the first time I heard the name Matt Walsh in the context of far-right stuff I thought “Oh no, another one from the alt-comedy scene gone off the deep end, like Jay Johnston!”

Turns out it’s a different one. Phew

7 Likes