Yahoo exec wanted Tumblr to become "the next generation PDF"

Make it agile! Make it modular! 24/7 key account satisfaction delivery with vertical synergies from all the emergent value chains!

26 Likes

Tumblrs, PDFs, block chains, In the end it’s all a series of tubes and Trump will talk to Bill Gates and ask him to make Facebook great again.

9 Likes

Right, but don’t you see that Tumblr is uniquely situated to deliver that added value?

2 Likes

This article is from three years ago; the writing’s been on the wall for a long time.

because they are there because they are friendly to the Capital investors that put them there to watch their money.

3 Likes

Tech execs have MBAs. Tech workers have certificates from all the software & hardware & network stuff they’ve mastered.
“Good” tech execs have touched computers at some point. “Good” tech workers close tickets promptly.
Actually-decent-to-work-for tech execs have real tech backgrounds. Actually-decent-to-work-with tech workers know the difference between what they learned for the tests and how the stuff behaves (and why it doesn’t) in the real world.

7 Likes

They are all just Yahoos.

“You’re not looking at the big picture.”

3 Likes

I imagine it happened like this…

Un-named exec: “So what exactly is Tumbler?”

Poor sap from Tumbler: (long, detailed explanation that includes…) …A platform that allows users to easily create anything they want.

Un-named exec: (glazed look on his face) “So… like a PDF?”

Poor sap from Tumbler: (Stunned and horrified look morphs into total disbelief) “Uh, yeah. Sure.”

Poor sap from Tumbler: (Heard muttering as leaving meeting) I am SO fucking out of here.

7 Likes

At the risk of sounding dorky, PDF is a wondrous and massively underappreciated piece of technology, and probably one of the most enduringly useful things to come out of the nineties. People wasted giga-aeons on Java and XML, but the whole time, boring old PDF was actually revolutionising all kinds of banal office stuff. I could go on at length due my weirdly long, diverse and intimate involvement with PDF (or “Carousel”, to use its Earthsea-style true name), but basically it’s the glue that holds white-collar civilization together.

What is less obvious to me, as a hardcore PDF stan, is what in the nine fucks it has to do with Tumblr. I suppose he meant he wanted Tumblr to be the universal authoring platform of the future, but if so, then he’s misunderstood the true value of PDF. The fool.

22 Likes

Generally speaking, whatever the industry, an Executive is paid to sit there and soak up money. Qualifications of any sort are not needed, and often not wanted.

2 Likes

I’m inclined to wonder, though I suspect I don’t really want to know, if this guy is actually as clueless as he sounds; or if he associates ‘pdf’ with LiveCycle and was actually articulating a vague proposal that Tumblr ought to become a more hip and futuristic Enterprise document/form workflow/rights management/trusted identity solution/content management/kitchen sink Platform.

The former is a more incoherent proposal; the latter a much grimmer one.

2 Likes

Should buy youtube to make “the next generation REALplayer”.

4 Likes

I like to believe he meant that out of the complexity and chaos of Tumblr, the next generation PDF would arise in the same way that the Maxtrix gave form to The One, Neo.

2 Likes

12 Likes

Egads man, you can’t be serious with all this sense and sensibility! :rofl:

2 Likes

longtime

4 Likes

You’re not wrong. PDF is quite a wonderful thing and is a format that will probably continue to exist alongside JPG and MP3 for the foreseeable future.

Adobe Acrobat Reader on the other hand…shudders

3 Likes

I PITY DA FOOL!

They probably wanted a proactive paradigm, as well.

3 Likes