Yahoo exec wanted Tumblr to become "the next generation PDF"

I seem to remember an attempt to make tumblr a video platform as well, though that was a lot less baffling than this was. I don’t think they ever knew what the website even was.

2 Likes

Look at how well JPEG 2000 has done!
ETA: While I’m here, if you need a PDF reader, Sumatra is very light wieght and beats the crap out of Adobe Reader.

3 Likes

I’ve never really been an avid market-watcher. Is anyone aware of companies that Yahoo bought and then failed to mishandle?

I’d always secretly guessed that Yahoo was sort of an inter-corporation anti-competition weapon. I imagined a scenario where its board of directors was made up of agents from other major technology companies, and when an upstart business came along that might threaten the market share held by an agent’s employer, they lobbied their fellow directors into calling for Yahoo to use its assets to buy the upstart. Since this version of Yahoo was just a brain-dead zombie that was being ridden by parasites, it had no internal reason for its acquisitions and no means of managing them once they were acquired. Its acquisitions were as good as dead, the status quo was safe.

1 Like

Nope. The three that I know of off the top of my head – Tumblr, Flickr, and De.licio.us – all fell apart under their stewardship. Flickr got sold off to another photo sharing/storage service, which almost immediately dumped the (perhaps overly-)generous 1 TB of photo storage for free accounts that Yahoo implemented in an impossibly-late effort to boost the community they’d slowly suffocated. Delicious was essentially about to get the axe when it was bought by their primary competition, Pinboard, and then shut down a couple of years later.

They re-incorporated all of the profitable parts of Yahoo under Alibaba and then sold the rest to Verizon, in the midst of which they revealed that they’d suffered a massive security breach and basically every Yahoo account ever created was compromised. So, y’know… real competent leadership there.

4 Likes

But how does JPEG 2000 handle Lena?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.