Yahoo to change name to "Altaba"

Mission accomplished for Mayer. Once people start flooding away from Yahoo the folks at Google/Alphabet will reap the benefits, just as expected.

9 Likes

å (Alt tab a)

35 Likes

No one’s leaving the operational company that is (and will remain) Yahoo. They’re going with it (and the Yahoo name) to Verizon. This is just the internet being stupid and not understanding the actual press release.

11 Likes

The return of MS Dewey–the search engine that was both insulting and unhelpful, and yet still had a certain charm.

5 Likes

The rumours are that she’s going with it. She’ll continue to earn more money while people flee from having an already poorly managed e-mail service placed in the hands of a company like Verizon.

5 Likes

We need to do this more with people. Like, uncle Fred in Arkansas is dying, so we sell him to Bill across the street who looks the same and change Fred’s name to Verna. Fred’s wife Maude goes along with the deal, and switches places with Bill’s wife Nan, who then becomes Bill’s sister, Virginia. Fred’s two kids, Dirk and Bobby, are out. Bill, Verna, Maude and Virginia restructure, and buy a new house in Glendale, and change their last name from Stevens to Tanaka.

46 Likes

Corporations are people, my friend, so why not the other way round?

9 Likes

Welp might as well destroy the last thing of value at the company right?

7 Likes

Explain then, oh sagely one.

Will fit in well once Altria absorbs all the dope-smoker companies.

Check out the link that @Bert_Bovine posted above.

How much being and remaining do you expect Yahoo to do once in the hands of Verizon(especially since they already have the other necrotic email 'n portal brand since bought AOL)?

I’m not expecting Yahoo.com to be sold to typosquatters tomorrow or anything; but it would be real news if Verizon doesn’t leverage some synergies until there is very little meat under Yahoo’s flayed skin. Particularly with the ongoing revelations about how…fantastic and robust…Yahoo’s in house tech is. It may take them a while; but it is hard to imagine a good reason for Verizon to keep the Yahoo brain trust around to keep doing what they do so excellently; rather than strip mining the place for user data, and smearing whatever brands and UI/UX are considered non-worthless onto products that suck less.

5 Likes

The name fits.

I know that whenever I see Yahoo in my browser, I want to press alt-tab.

27 Likes

I wonder if Altaba is going to use the Marissa Mayer logo font for theirs?

1 Like

FTFY

4 Likes

So, pulling a Blackwater.

4 Likes

I’m surprised they didn’t call it “Oo Hay!”

7 Likes

Alt-ABBA, ABBA but with more plaid.

9 Likes

Sounds almost like hoo-ha.

5 Likes

I already did. So did the press release. The remainder company was never going to be called “Yahoo”. Read the article linked by Bert_Bovine above. The remainder company was using the temporary name “RemainCo”. None of this is new news, except for confirmation that people will be resigning who don’t want to be on the board of an investment firm, and that that investment firm now has a more concrete name. That’s it.

3 Likes