Yale professor says she was fired at Alan Dershowitz's behest after criticizing him

And all of that is one of the reasons why I never considered going back to get a bachlor’s degree after getting my associates’ degree in a field where a BS in computer science is about as useful, and five times as expensive. (industry certifications are considered more important as far as landing a job; keeping said job requires actual competence and high school level of communication skills, and a small amount of political ass-kissing.)

7 Likes

This is one of the many reasons I’m glad I attended a public university and encourage others to do the same. They (especially the extremely powerful state system mine was a part of) are more able to resist these kinds of assaults on their integrity.

6 Likes

Wasn’t there an entire basketball team who now have a corporate sponsor? and still they athletes can’t get paid.

Angry GIF

There isn’t much day light between the two in reality.

12 Likes

But did they have any other provisos, like it had to be discussed over 4 class-hours. Because I could lawyerball that into a “read this book, and this counterpoint book, and we’ll discuss the class before [insert big semester break here], and no, it won’t be on the test.”

4 Likes

“Criminal Justice” seems to have a really high “underemployment” rate.

5 Likes

It’s a very squirrelly label, this neoliberalism. The alternative, “free-market principles”, is much more concrete.

2 Likes

Yep. And at my last uni, they only worked two days a week because “that was the culture” and they “were doing other ‘business things’” on the other three days a week.

Sigh. Part of it is just the annoyance of being in the sciences seeing students graduate and get jobs with a BS that start where I’m at for a salary. But, hey, summers off, right?

3 Likes

Its understandable to assume otherwise from the name and Koch Bros influence, but George Mason is a public university.

I also encourage people to attend public universitites, and even more strongly encourage them to fund their local public universities and prevent them from being corporate shills. (this coming from an alum of a state school with a health research facility paid for by Coca-Cola that has “discovered” that sugar isn’t so bad for you)

8 Likes

TIL. Everything I’ve heard about George Mason over the past two decades screamed “private university”. That it’s a public school makes the situation there even more disturbing.

7 Likes

neoliberalism really acquired a vituperative connotation from the literature of the global south. Is the CIA activity in south america really compatible with “libertarianism”?

2 Likes

Understandable, considering how Milton Friedman and Chicago School economists were all buddy-buddy with scumbags like Pinochet. Now that chicken(isation) has come home to roost, with “free”-market fundies/Libertarians enabling American fascists.

8 Likes

But how else rich guys be able to achieve immortality, if not through buying naming rights for business schools?

4 Likes

My understanding is that cab drivers on Martha’s Vineyard in the summer warn their customers that “this is the nude beach Dershowitz goes to.”

4 Likes

The Goldwater rule is a good one. Dr Lee’s contention that she can diagnose mental health problems in public figures based on their public statements is bananas, and detrimental to the entire field of mental health. Good on Yale for standing up for something.

1 Like

If Yale felt so strongly about her violation of the Goldwater Rule it could have disciplined her its own in January of 2020, perhaps using it as an educational opportunity to show why it’s a good rule (which I agree it is). The school’s decision to fire her, however, resulted mainly from the efforts of one of Biff’s litigious and thin-skinned allies at the time who was butthurt by one of her tweet and wanted her punished into silence.

Put another way, until Dershowitz made a stink Yale cared as little about these silly tweets as Dershowitz himself cared about APA ethics rules.

7 Likes

True, though it seems she was “not reappointed” rather than fired. From what I can tell she was a “voluntary faculty member,” meaning that she received no pay. Instead she did four hours of volunteer work in exchange for being able to claim faculty status. It’s a yearly reappointment, which Yale turned down.

Not that this excuses Dershowitz’s assholery. I just mean to bring a bit of clarity to her position and what’s happened to her. It means that her lawsuit will likely go nowhere. Yale was under no obligation to continue her employment from year-to-year. They don’t need a reason to not reappoint her [or, likely, even fire her].

4 Likes

If she’s willing to spend money to expose Dershowitz’s hypocrisy regarding freeze peach and academic freedom (and, of course, his choice to work with Biff), more power to her.

4 Likes

The exact quote is
“Peart added, “Voluntary faculty members in the Department of Psychiatry are unpaid, but, in exchange for up to four hours of departmentally-sanctioned teaching activity per week”.

One course, unpaid, in return for library privileges and the like? Sounds reasonable for someone with a professional practice, though adjuncts and postdocs may disagree.

1 Like

Ah, thanks. Is it actually one course? Or is it tutoring/mentoring? Or something else? Their directory sure has a lot of these folks. Voluntary (Clinical) Faculty < Psychiatry

ETA: The question marks because the quote is also ““because she did not have a formal teaching role.”” So . . . .?

1 Like

If there were an ethical rule in astrology that we weren’t allowed to express an opinion about a public figure’s horoscope unless we had examined the public figure in person, the rule might be “good for the entire field of astrology,” but it would not be based on any kind of legitimate epistemology

If clinical psychology is real, then it works on video evidence and it works on people we haven’t met

If it requires my spirit energy to interact with another person’s insurance coverage, maybe it’s just woo

7 Likes