Yet another reason to never go to Dubai: prison for sex ‘out of wedlock’

I hear Antarctica is pretty chill.

4 Likes

Well, it is the continent with the highest average intelligence and level of education.

13 Likes

Foretaste of the future dystopia? (autocratic / theocratic rule, extreme wealth inequality, slavery indentured labour, all within a vile climate).

1 Like

I mean… It’s pretty much Slavery what they have rocking there with migrant labor. Just on the surface it looks like it’s anything but forced labor.

It does seem like a lot of money to pay just to see what the world looks like when it’s arranged around the whims of authoritarian nouveau-super-riche.

The great state of GA already has them.

How does one year in prison for a consensual blow job grab you?

4 Likes

I’m deeply unconvinced of their value or sense as a practical matter(you don’t really want to provide an incentive for the cops to get into the sex-surveillance business; history suggests that enforcement priorities are…unlikely…to be equal, etc.); but prohibitions on adultery are arguably vastly different than prohibitions on premarital sex, sex that squicks out the neighbors, etc.

It’s fairly routine for contract violations to be both a cause for action by whoever you are breaching the contract with and treated as some sort of fraud by the jurisdiction locally responsible for contract law. Given the contractual nature of the part of marriage that the state concerns itself with; it’s not especially surprising to see the state taking a dim view of people who violate obligations they (unless the system was subverted) took on voluntarily and could dissolve.

Imposing restrictions on people who aren’t party to any particular agreements; or who ‘agreed’ under assorted transparently coercive circumstances is a totally different game.

2 Likes

Good thing they practically are unenforced. Leave it to the divorce courts, really.

Sodomy laws… More enforced, but it’s as you say, unequally so.

The scant 6 states of something with Fornication laws haven’t enforced them in a long time (if at all in any significant way), as I guess they were inherited from English law.

That’s honestly one of the few redeeming features of the place: some of its victims are people who think that its vices are really pretty cool, as long as they get to play in the glittery financial district and have some cheap and powerless servants; and just assumed that they were too special to be at risk of getting the pointy end of their little dystopia.

2 Likes

Hester Prynne was a popular fictional protagonist for good reason, and the Constitution wasn’t just to reign in the excesses of the British!

3 Likes

Bright side: The man got the same jail time as the woman. And he was an Arab, no less. Assume he tried to bribe their way out and couldn’t. In that part of the world, that counts as progress.

1 Like

Yeah, given how well-publicized the human rights abuses are there, there’s definitely that element of “self-punishing asshole” in terms of who does go there regardless.

Just another ignoramus who has never visited Dubai, eating regurgitated pablum and jumping on the bash-Dubai bandwagon. So yesterday. So vapid. So banal. Grow a brain, get out there and experience the world, base such “observations” - if they can be called that - on real experiences, not on the propaganda of those with an agenda. And maybe make them relevant and nuanced, with at least a fraction of interest in a different culture, rather than harsh judgement because it might just be different than your privileged, white, western “norms”.
I’m a western woman who has lived in Dubai for over a decade. People hook up all the time, there’s a vibrant gay scene, the nightlife is the best in the world. It’s not an issue, the locals don’t care, it’s only when people do stupid things like get into fights or drive drunk and the police get called that this kind of thing even gets looked at.
Again, don’t bury your head in a predigested world, get out and see it for yourself before passing judgement.

So the contents of this article are a lie?

2 Likes

Non daily mail link for those who won’t or can’t read that tabloid (I block it for sanity reasons)

I cant find a link for the poppy seed story, but I remember reading about it at the time.

The one I always remember is Grooverider. The BBC link is worth reading because he tells you what actually happens once you are arrested.

2 Likes

Or are openly trans*

If you like Dubai then great, but I make a habit of avoid places that make me a criminal for being me.

4 Likes

So basically, if you don’t get caught, it’s not illegal?

2 Likes

Can you back these claims up?

3 Likes

True, but that was pre-USA.