Yet another subscription service emerges... this time, from Taco Bell

Originally published at: Yet another subscription service emerges… this time, from Taco Bell | Boing Boing

1 Like

Does membership include a personalized tankard to imbibe in cask aged Baja Blast™?

11 Likes

It’s got all your food groups. Beefy substance, processed cheese like edible and something that looks like vegetables and grains.

Okay- I’m actually getting hungry.

11 Likes

No thanks, I like my stomach lining intact.

10 Likes

I guess I prefer more of a pay-per-food model.

6 Likes

This is pretty brilliant. I’m not a huge fan, but I could see if someone was, $5 is a great deal for free tacos, even if they just have one a week. And if their favorite comes up as the free one of the day, they’re sure to go in when they might not have otherwise, and then spend money on other stuff (bc, seriously, 1 taco does not a lunch make).

3 Likes

I can’t decide which I dislike more:
Subscription services, or fast food.

7 Likes

Why not both :wink:
I’m no fan of either, either, but I grudgingly appreciate the business savvy of this one.
Someone just tried to rope me in to some insanely overpriced subscription service for Alaskan seafood by sending me a “free” $25 coupon. I hate that crap.

4 Likes

People complain constantly that fast food isn’t “real beef” or it’s “cheap filler”, or whatever, but the truth is they’ve found a way to make plant-based proteins palatable to a lot of people who otherwise wouldn’t dream of eating vegetarian. And that’s needed if we ever hope to feed people without an unsustainable amount of livestock like beef cattle.

2 Likes

So many apparently distinct details to these schemes. So does one actually pay up front for this taco membership? (like Amazon Prime) or do you pay only with information which can be subsequently and repeatedly sold (like Kroger)?

next up: Can stores actually refuse to accept “Legal Tender”, cash? turns out yes they can (because buying coffee isn’t somehow a “debt”). So my U.S. greenback money is increasingly often turned down [sad face emoji pallid skin tone]

1 Like

I’m certainly no vegetarian.
I stopped eating carbohydrates a few years ago. No bread, no pasta, no high-carb vegetables; none at all. I cannot eat plant based burger substitutes because they are loaded with carbs, and if you try to eat any fast food burger without a bun you will instantly realize just how crappy the “meat” they use actually is.

3 Likes

I didn’t say everyone loves it. I said “they found a way to make them palatable”, which includes the whole package of buns, tortillas, condiments, or whatever.

And their annual sales are in the billions, so obviously that’s a whole lot of people who do find it edible.

1 Like

Don’t worry, the Ivermectin plan is an add-on subscription.

5 Likes

Taco Bell Ivermectin plan, you wrecked my rectum and that I wasn’t expecting”

4 Likes

So… for a subscription fee they also get to sell your valuable data and you get access to a “secret menu” that’s… what? Because it’s not like it’s a real restaurant, they’re not doing actual cooking, they’re mixing fixed ingredients in pre-determined ways, and they surely wouldn’t even have a special packaged sauce, much less any other ingredient just for subscription members. So at best you’d get the exact same stuff everyone else gets, but slightly re-arranged with a new name. Like the “secret menu” at Starbucks that’s just X shots of this combined with Y quantities of that, but given a name that the people who work their might recognize.

Or is the “secret menu” just a certain number of “free” tacos covered by the subscription fee?

3 Likes

My younger brother used to work at a 'Merican-style taco chain around the time fast-food restaurants were making the switch from actually cooking their own ground beef to “bucket meat” back in the 80s. It’s really not that appetizing, but he can tell you it sure beats that smell of beef that was near impossible to wash out of his uniform.

2 Likes

I might have been interested in the past, but Taco Bell’s project of removing everything I actually like from their menu has likely been a major contributing factor to my improving health!

3 Likes

I haven’t been back to Taco Bell since they got rid of the seven-layer burrito and I had no idea what else to order.

2 Likes

Double Decker Taco Supreme, RIP. :pensive:

6 Likes

That is right up there with Lamb grease, once it has made a home on something, it’s there until the end of eternity.

1 Like