Yikes - 4 out of 10 Republicans favor political violence to achieve their aims

The international community really needs to start looking at the Republican Party of the United States as the threat to democracy that it is. When violence is even being considered, it is no longer a matter of political differences.

1 Like

If you had a professional heavyweight boxer randomly punch 4 out of 10 Republican voters in the face would they still agree?

1 Like

I mean, not to pretend the two sides are at all equivalent…but if you are talking about the international community America has routinely been a threat to democracy no matter who is in charge, as any number of coups will show. The Republicans are special in also bringing that back as a threat to democracy back at home.

7 Likes

OTOH, that’s 6 outta 10 Republicans who are not in favor.

I wonder if any in that 60% are actively trying to talk sense into their co-religionists, neighbors, fellow party members, etc. Or (shudder) vice-versa.

2 Likes

More than one in three (36 percent) Americans agree with the statement: “The traditional American way of life is disappearing so fast that we may have to use force to save it.” Six in 10 (60 percent) Americans reject the idea that the use of force is necessary, but there is significant partisan disagreement on this question.

A majority (55 percent) of Republicans support the use of force as a way to arrest the decline of the traditional American way of life. Forty-three percent of Republicans express opposition to this idea. Significantly fewer independents (35 percent) and Democrats (22 percent) say the use of force is necessary to stop the disappearance of traditional American values and way of life…

Eh… Am I reading it wrong, or does it say almost 4 in 10 Americans support it, and 55% of Republicans support it…

2 Likes

Oh dear…

Would you be okay with oppression of Muslims because of the actions of Islamic fundamentalists? Same difference.

1 Like

Mom in the kitchen barefoot and pregnant making tollhouse cookies for Wally and the Beaver.

Of course not, why would you even ask

This isn’t Christian majorities, just right wing evangelical Christians, and maybe it is just Positive Christianity back for a second time.

It’s popularity is worrying, but it would be wrong to blame Quakers and Mennonites for a different groups hate.

When I was a child, I used to know a refugee who was persecuted for being a Christian. The evangelicals do not live anything close that life and if they truly understood it then they wouldn’t want to.

7 Likes

Huh never heard of that. Scary shit

1 Like

Well, in the future be a little more careful about talking how repression of religions is understandable due to some people of that religion being shitty people then, okay? :slight_smile:

But yeah, as @the_borderer says, this is a feature of white Evangelical Christianity in the US. A lot of these churches are steeped in right-wing politics, conspiratorial thinking, and de facto segregated – there are Black Evangelical churches, too, but they aren’t the ones morphing into QAnon cults, or preaching Trumpist propaganda from the pulpit.

5 Likes

That’s a really interesting question, and one I’d like someone to look into. My anecdotal experience in my extended family is “no” because the Republican mindset is very much one of the ends justifying the means. As long as womens’ health is illegalized or taxes go down, they’ll go along with whatever else happens. These are the people who “don’t like how Trump speaks but support his policies”. I imagine they watched the insurrection at the Capitol on TV and thought, “well, I wouldn’t do that but I’m glad people are standing up for traditional values” and went back to their pot pie casserole.

4 Likes

Bingo.

Clearly you have been in contact with my neighbors here.
Like the guy up the road who took down the very large U.S. flag from his flagpole (he had that up for over a decade) on January 7 and replaced it with a very large Texas state flag. His or his fam’s pro-life yard sign has been there since October last year.

I still talk to him and try to be friendly. He’s got a really well-paying job and he seems responsible and is a grandad, but I really uh yes worry about just what kinds of things he is planning given some of his repeated priorities about that f’d up holy of holies: low taxes. He was even ok with babies in cages and dammit he has grandkids who are those ages. FFS: completamente sin compasión.

Such an upside-down-ment of moral priorities.

3 Likes

In rural Indiana, the US flags are down and replaced with an even mix of Confederate and/or Trump flags.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.