YMCA to promote self with famous disco song it once reviled

Interesting. I assumed the navy would have been in full no homo mode back in the day, but history gets weird sometimes.

2 Likes

They are full with sea men.

3 Likes

From what I’ve seen, “No homo” mode itself gets weird sometimes.

Oblig onion link:

5 Likes

I read it again, looked at the onion’s front page, and shed a single tear for satire.

Its not gay if you’re under way!

1 Like

Young man, there’s no need to be down
I said young man, get yourself off the ground

1 Like

as a gen-x member, please don’t lump us in with the boomers.

and i thought that “gen-y” was just the placeholder name until something that made more sense came along, like “millennial”

1 Like

[quote=“Franko, post:27, topic:103187”]
i thought that “gen-y” was just the placeholder name until something that made more sense came along, like "millennial
[/quote] Frankly i hate the term millennial, it’s usually used to condescend to those that fall under that generational range.

1 Like

When I was working in Cleveland in '78 I had some housing issues, and ended up staying at the Y for a few weeks. The other residents I met there (mainly down in the snack room/lounge) were often from the margins of society (though some were just middle-aged men who had been thrown out of the house and had nowhere else to go). Many of the people I used to chat with would probably be homeless today. It was a useful, cheap but clean place to stay in a pinch. I don’t know what I’d do today in similar circumstances.

4 Likes

From what I’ve seen they YMCA as an organization hasn’t been focused on “Young Christian Men” for some time now. They basically just kept the name for brand recognition.

2 Likes

why not bring back the frito bandito? it’s not about mexicans its about chips right? wake up america you’re still dreaming…

For what it’s worth, the ACTUAL “Indian” in the Village People was Felipe Rose, whose father was a member of the Lakota Sioux tribe. Rose also used that fame to help raise millions of dollars for the Native American College Fund. I don’t know if that makes his onstage persona OK with the people he was representing but it certainly makes it less offensive than a white guy donning a cheap plastic version of the outfit for a Halloween costume.

12 Likes

LIES! As a “Gen X” person, I demand to remind EVERYONE that we DO exist!!! :wink:

2 Likes

Yes, you are a millennial! Away with you, non-Gen-X peon! :wink:

2 Likes

2 Likes

Some years back, I lived in a very small farm town, and conservative Christians were fairly dominant. The high school chorus included YMCA in their lineup. I still wonder if even one parent, or one teacher, knew what that song is about. I’m sure the kids thought it was about cute arm movements.

3 Likes

Can’t tell if joke. Damn you Poe!

2 Likes

Imagined or not, the song isn’t any more outrageous than other disco or pop songs. If anything i can think of more sexualized pop songs that seem to be totally ok by straight conservative parents (aka: just about anything with Britney Spears).

1 Like

Well, clearly people who felt the song was somehow inappropriate (including people representing the YMCA at the time it came out) were homophobic.

Obviously there’s nothing overtly sexual about YMCA. The song is very clearly about telling people to access community resources when they are down and out. I grew up in Southern Ontario years after the song came out. I had no idea that the Village People were named for an area known for its high gay population, or that their outfits were essentially gay fantasy stereotypes.

And yet everyone I knew in highschool thought the song was about guys picking up guys at the Y. The song tripped everyone’s gaydar.

I bet a lot of conservative parents picked up on that same vibe. They didn’t know what it was, but the song made them uncomfortable.

4 Likes