YMCA to promote self with famous disco song it once reviled

Oh, I was being totally sarcastic. Don’t worry, I’m not that thick. :slight_smile:

Victor Willis (the policeman – who wrote and sang most of their hits – and who also interestingly is not gay) is known for liberal use of double entendre in his songwriting. So, if you didn’t know any better, you may not realize that “you can hang out with all the boys” doesn’t quite mean what you think it means.

If you think about it, the Village People concept was really quite brilliantly done. They perfectly fit into that over-the-top and self-aware 70’s kitsch musical act mold. If you didn’t know anything about gay culture, their subtext would likely go completely over your head. Hell, the US Navy commissioned “In the Navy” which is just filled to the brim with double meanings.

3 Likes

Yeah… posting a gif… Just like A MILLENNIAL!!! What did I tell ya! My work here is done. Now for a tasty beverage.

3 Likes

3 Likes

Really. Not a single like for this post. Man, you lot are a fussy bunch.

1 Like

Hey I just got to reading through this thread… y’all got likes now.

1 Like

I can always count on you, man!

2 Likes

apparently according my summary page…

4 Likes

Depending on who you ask, “millennials” can be anyone currently between the ages of 13 an 41 (although each individual definition tends to be about 15-20 years wide).

Yeah, generation tags are a mostly useless bunch of categories. Not sure if that was always the case, but it certainly is now.

1 Like

Why do people want Gen X to not have been a thing. It was a thing. Just because our cohort wasn’t as big as the boomers or millennials, doesn’t mean we didn’t exist.

2 Likes

But Gen X is pretty ambivalent about existing, right?

2 Likes

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.