"You are seeing this message because ad or script blocking software is interfering with this page"

I’ve just been looking this up and it seems the ideal is to use both but allow scripts globally in noscript but keep XSS protection and then use umatrix for blocking scripts so you’ve got the best of both worlds. I think that’s how i understand it!

ETA: Basically what you said.

There’s a good explainer on reddit from a user about this.

2 Likes

Yes. I can only conclude ‘economic illiteracy’ or that BB has no real desire or expectation for people to sign up to the per page scheme, and is simply using it as a very blunt and heavy club to ‘encourage’ people to allow ads.

3 Likes
22 Likes

Given how PACER is universally seen as exorbitant at 10¢ a page, and for charging by the page in the first place, 5¢ a page fee (if that’s accurate) would seem to be an unserious offer - like the highest priced option on a menu that is never actually meant to be bought but just to make the rest of the menu seem cheaper.

That’s putting it absurdly mildly.

1 Like

Hey, authors? mods? admins? mutants? Beschizzases and Doctoroi and Jardinistas of any sort?

People sure are pretty confused (surprised, irritated, whatever) about this. Seems like some kind of official explanation might be in order.

But hey, it’s your nickel. …er, well, maybe that’s not the right idiom in this case.

4 Likes

This seems like Flattr, but worse in every concievable way.

Bills need to be paid, I understand that. Merch clearly isn’t keeping the lights on. Traffic on site is too sporadic and irregular for, say the direct subscription model Wonkette uses. And at some point somekne somewhere is selling payment/rewards data to Google.

May as well be BoingBoing, right?

I’m not angry. I’m just so tired.

We fought the system- and the system won.

Boing Team, thanks for fighting the good fight. I’m sorry the timeline turned out like this.

11 Likes

I totally get it but I’d posit that they, as the site’s producer, should monetize that love (or monetize it further, let’s be honest here) instead of force-feeding garbage to my eyebones in a way that that runs counter the ethos of the site. This whole blocker fiasco is just a damn weird thing to have happen. I’m out for awhile.

1 Like

Especially since Google Contributor doesn’t even seem to be a successful model. It’s been around for 4 years backed by the money, power and ubiquity of Google and I’ve never seen it once until now. When I go to the home page for it it offers me a choice of a whopping two sites I can use the service on, the National Post and Popular Mechanics. I’m curious as to the vetting that went with choosing Contributor as the monitization method of choice. :thinking:

6 Likes

Wait, I figured it out. I accidentally overslept by… let’s see… three weeks and five days?

3 Likes

Rob is to April Fools Day what my friends who are serious drinkers are to St. Patrick’s Day: they consider it amateur hour, something to be avoided (though I imagine Rob could get very meta about that…)

2 Likes

Are you sure that hasn’t just been a many-year-long setup? Rob’s anti-foolery, Cory’s anti-anti-adblockery, all these years just leading up to this?

2 Likes

Does this change only affect the main page, or the entire site?

3 Likes

It’s not mine, but I have added people to it.

3 Likes

The change should be sitewide (Well, any page with ads).

1 Like

Well…Rob is the Andy Kaufman of blogging… :thinking:

2 Likes

Ah, thank you for the correction.

1 Like

15 Likes

Welp, this is a gigantic bummer. And seems very very un-like BB.

2 Likes

I’ll take a spot on the list too, please.

Is it? I’ve been on BB regularly for over 10 years and I’d happily kick some money via patreon or similar. There are a lot of regulars.

7 Likes