You can call me AI

brian should take notice;

A company swallows the AI hype, thinks jumping on board will paint it as innovative, and entirely fails to understand the growing anti-AI sentiment taking hold among many of its customers…Some will have you believe AI is all opportunity, all upside, the next great technological revolution that will free humanity from the dark ages we’re living through

fuck you brian! you are not the messiah!

4 Likes

5 Likes

They aren’t the only ones. I’m aware of a few AI investments by big players that have swallowed hundreds of millions and that money is all gone with, to use the technical term, p → ε « f**k all prospect of seeing a dollar of it back. Brace yourself for another round of white-collar workers on the street after having the first 5 or 10 years of their career turn to dust, with no marketable skills. The trigger will be the rotation, retirement or defenestration of the CEO / CTO who spent the money (not an actual failure of the AI venture, since complete lack of success from day 1 isn’t actually a failure you can pin on a senior exec).

Imagine, for a moment, that this vast monetary and human resource had actually been put onto a real, socially useful problem. :thinking: …or even just useful physical labour like building LRT tracks, restoring wetlands, putting up agri-solar.

14 Likes

I’ve said upthread that there was a very difficult for me to understand journal article arguing that the worlds biggest single infrastructure project was Microsoft’s pivot to AI and all the server farms etc. that entailed.

In the world as it is right now with all the problems it has, sparkly hype which would obviously never deliver anything remotely worthwhile is what the far too wealthy think is the important investment…

9 Likes
12 Likes
3 Likes

Given the rate of burn at the AI companies, you need 20 pounds cash for this calculator. Not GBP, lb.

3 Likes

[Investors Are Suddenly Getting Very Concerned That AI Isn’t Making Any Serious Money (futurism.com)]

15 Likes

FTA: “Despite its expensive price tag, the technology is nowhere near where it needs to be in order to be useful,”

Narrator: “And it never would be.”

“Capital continues to pour into the AI sector with very little attention being paid to company fundamentals,” tech stock analyst Richard Windsor wrote

Hint: it’s not the company fundamentals you should be worried about.

8 Likes

Investors pouring insane amounts into tech sectors without paying any attention to company fundamentals, now where/when have I heard that before…

9 Likes

“in a sure sign that when the music stops there will not be many chairs available.”

Ha ha, there are no chairs!

Even taking over larger slices of the “market” won’t help, because they lose money on every answer, and no one will pay more for crap answers.

7 Likes

Video game performers will go on strike over artificial intelligence concerns

“The industry has told us point blank that they do not necessarily consider everyone who is rendering movement performance to be a performer that is covered by the collective bargaining agreement,” SAG-AFTRA Chief Contracts Officer Ray Rodriguez said at a news conference Thursday afternoon. He said some physical performances are being treated as “data.”

6 Likes

A manipulated video shared by Musk mimics Harris’ voice, raising concerns about AI in politics

NEW YORK (AP) — A manipulated video that mimics the voice of Vice President Kamala Harris saying things she did not say is raising concerns about the power of artificial intelligence to mislead with Election Day about three months away.

7 Likes

One crawler downloaded 73 TB of zipped HTML files in May 2024, with almost 10 TB in a single day . This cost us over $5,000 in bandwidth charges, and we had to block the crawler. We emailed this company, reporting a bug in their crawler, and we’re working with them on reimbursing us for the costs.

7 Likes
5 Likes

16 Likes

Satisfying Production Line GIF by michaelmarczewski

5 Likes

But thinking hurts my brain!
Also, I am told it is dangerous.

6 Likes

tom cruise GIF

5 Likes

Welsh guy gets dubbed into french canadian by youtube against his wishes

3 Likes