You can call me AI

1 Like

ā€¦ I wouldnā€™t be surprised, but there are so many such events that finding one with a specific characteristic like that is not a trivial task :confused:

2 Likes
4 Likes
2 Likes

ā€œFrom Burnout to Balance: AI-Enhanced Work Models for the Futureā€

https://www.upwork.com/research/ai-enhanced-work-models

Nearly half (47%) of workers using AI say they have no idea how to achieve the productivity gains their employers expect. Over three in four (77%) say AI tools have decreased their productivity and added to their workload in at least one way.

I wonder why Upwork, a company thatā€™s all-in on ā€œAIā€, didnā€™t promote this study on their blog like they do their other studies

(The questionā€™s rhetorical)

To all of the pro-AI folks out there: this is your fucking legacy

Seventy-one percent are burned out and nearly two-thirds (65%) report struggling with increasing employer demands.

And:

Women (74%) report feeling more burned out than do men (68%). Alarmingly, 1 in 3 employees say they will likely quit their jobs in the next six months because they are burned out or overworked.

6 Likes
7 Likes

But, of course, theyā€™ve drunk the sea dry. There is no more data source available to them that they havenā€™t already poisoned with their own leavings.

10 Likes

ETA:

10 Likes

Odd, I donā€™t seem concerned at all.

4 Likes

These AI developers, theyā€™re like a bunch of 18th century architects patting themselves on the back for completing a 10-story office building out of masonry. ā€œAt this rate, weā€™ll have 100-story structures by the end of the decade!ā€ And they doggedly go after this goal, watching previous attempts collapse over and over, no matter how fine they polish the stone blocks. No oneā€™s invented steel. May not even be a possibility in this metaphor.

I mean, look at kids. They start exhibiting genuine intelligence really quickly. Earlier than 6 years old, but for the sake of argument we could say 10ā€¦ how many books has a typical 10 year old read? How many videos watched? Could be a lot, but only a speck compared to everything thatā€™s been fed into these AI models. Yet these kids are bright and have general intelligence. They have steel.

6 Likes
1 Like

Additional information, links:

4 Likes

Just had this discussion with my business partner. Our newly found stray kitten, 6 weeks at most, learned in an evening to navigate our bedroom and jump off the bed onto the soft carpet below for fun. Thatā€™s using a brain the size of a peanut running on maybe 4W of power.

Compare a given ā€œAIā€'s performance on a similar task.

Thatā€™s how you know they are doing something fundamentally incorrect.

Steel vs. masonry is a good metaphor :+1:

Which, of course, wonā€™t stop me from getting a WASP 3D printer for my next masonry-based house building project. :grin: Which will be designed with the help of Automated Intelligence, not the artificial kind.

7 Likes

why is the complete useless ai-summarize-button suddenly reappearing under every fucking single post again?!? thought we were fucking through with that bs!

fuckthat

fuck.that.shit.already.bbs! fucking damnit!

4 Likes
7 Likes

ā€¦ yep, Brian is back

The discussion ā€œYou can call me AIā€ revolves around the topic of artificial intelligence (AI) and its implications ...

The discussion ā€œYou can call me AIā€ revolves around the topic of artificial intelligence (AI) and its implications. Many users express concerns about the dangers of AI, citing examples of misinformation, job displacement, and potential biases. Some users argue that AI is a tool that can be used for good or bad, depending on the intentions of its creators and users.

Otherbrother points out that the problem lies not with the technology itself, but with the humans who create and use it, and that technology needs to be built for real humans, not hypothetical ones. Mindysan33 suggests that to achieve ethical use of computers and technology, venture capital should not lead the direction, and instead, it should be led by computer science departments, hobbyists, and people who care about humane computing.

Several users share articles and news stories about AI, including its potential to replace human jobs, its use in grading student assignments, and its potential to create fake news. sqlrob shares an article about the ā€œbullshit machineā€ of Perplexity, a language model that can generate human-like text.

The discussion also touches on the topic of copyright and intellectual property, with RickMycroft sharing an article about the estate of George Carlin destroying an AI-generated version of the comedian. KathyPartdeux notes that billionaire CEOs, such as Masa Son, seem to be more interested in creating artificial superintelligence than in addressing real-world problems.

The conversation also includes humorous moments, such as sqlrob sharing a comic strip about AI being used to generate knock-knock jokes, and catsidhe rephrasing a video title to highlight the dangers of trusting AI.

Overall, the discussion highlights the complexities and concerns surrounding AI, as well as the need for a more nuanced and informed conversation about its potential risks and benefits.

Summarized with AI on Jul 26

4 Likes

Screenshot 2024-07-26 163448
Screenshot 2024-07-26 163455
Screenshot 2024-07-26 163516

Brian says things are back to normal. Or maybe havenā€™t changed. Anyway, we should be comforted. The commentariat can be at peace again. We love commentariat brain.

4 Likes

Brian wants you to be happy.

Happiness is mandatory.

Are you happy, citizen?

8 Likes

im-fine-crying-3429872027

8 Likes

And this bit in their email newsletter which made my blood run cold. THIS.HAS.TO.STOP.

Police forces around the world are using AI and automated systems to ā€˜predictā€™ whether people are at risk of committing crimes.

In the UK, Durham police profiled over 12,000 people using the Harm Assessment Risk Tool (HART), which according to the criminal justice NGO Fair Trials: ā€œhas many serious flaws, including the deliberate over-estimation of peopleā€™s likelihood of re-offending, and the use of racist data profilesā€. The Bristol Cable has reported on how Avon and Somerset Police used automated software to create risk scores for 250,000 known offenders. They supposedly identified how likely it was that each of these people would commit a crime in the future.

8 Likes