You can now buy a 31˝ color e-ink display panel, if you know what to do with it

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/02/18/you-can-now-buy-a-31˝-color-e-ink-display-panel-if-you-know-what-to-do-with-it.html

1 Like

I’ve been wanting one of these babies for a long time. If it actually looks good, if it can display color photos like a well-printed photo hanging on the wall, I’m totally getting one. Once the price falls to, say, $1000 for the whole package…

5 Likes

Disapplexing that it has a ~16:9 aspect ratio, given that it’s surely not for movies, and that wide aspect ratio is objectively wrong for all other purposes. If the idea is that these modules can be tiled for large custom signage, you’d think a square panel would make more sense.

(Square displays would be an improvement for most applications, but I’ve given up waiting for people to grasp that)

5 Likes

Refresh rate and brightness and application?!

Think it was a hobby horse of Eisenstein’s that it was best for cinema too. It’s ages since I read that so details are gone.

1 Like

4096 colors? 12 bits is going to look more like 8 bit color than what we are used to today.

1 Like

Those stats don’t make sense for E-Ink displays. They take about 1/2 second to change from one image to another, so they are not usable for moving images. Also, they are reflective, they don’t generate their own light, so the brightness depends on how you illuminate them. That’s why they are compared to ink on paper (thus the name E-Ink). They are generally used for programmable signage.

Thanks, appreciate the response!
Looks like interesting tech, will explore

1 Like

This is exactly the application of color e-ink that I’ve been interested in. A frame that can display a still image without drawing any power? This is going to be awesome tech when it matures a little more.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.