You can now stay at The Godfather house for "$50 a night"

Originally published at: You can now stay at The Godfather house for "$50 a night" | Boing Boing

@dnealy : the photo is of the house in Italy. Here is a photo of the property being discussed.

5 Likes

That indeed looks marginally more mock-Tudor. I did wonder.

3 Likes

Did Jack Woltz’s (John Marley) house ever get an establishing shot?

I bet you could charge certain people even more for the opportunity to wake up with a horse head.

1 Like

The house I want from Godfather is the Tahoe house. Because then I’d be at Tahoe instead of Staten Island.

6 Likes

110 Longfellow Ave., in a very posh neighborhood. I live 5 minutes from there. I always bring my out-of -town guests here for a look if they are fans of the movie. The church in the baptism scene is also here on Staten Island, but much further away on Hylan Blvd. & Kenny Rd.

4 Likes

Well, I guess $50 a night is an offer I can’t refuse.

3 Likes

It’s also worth noting that they almost never use the interiors of these movie houses, so all you’re really paying for is the outer facade, which you never see when in the house anyway. You’d have to be a real super fan of the IP to get $50/d of enjoyment from this.

Real interiors are very difficult to film in because you don’t have room for longer lenses, lighting is inadequate, and exterior noise can’t be controlled. The crew also has access for a limited time (depending on the contract with the homeowner) so it’s difficult to do reshoots, pickups, B-roll, etc.

If an interior is especially perfect, it might be copied in the soundstage, but mainly they just build whatever interior they want, totally unrelated to the building shot for exteriors. In some cases, the real interior is used for a little while because it’s a low budget production, but then they get more budget later and thus copy the interior to a soundstage. Buffy is a classic example of this. The first couple seasons are shot real-interior, then when they got successful, they quietly moved to a stage, having copied the interiors so well that nobody noticed.

6 Likes

and then you have to do them a favor.

3 Likes

Out of town guest visiting us always want to see the Exorcist Steps

5 Likes

You’re really paying for the thrill of Staten Island.

4 Likes

Not exactly a stairway to heaven you got there!

2 Likes

How much extra for the decapitated thoroughbred?

Cheaper than you think!
It comes in pillow form:

6 Likes

3 Likes

My ex girlfriend’s cousins were the caretakers of a beautiful estate in Sicily where several of the exterior shots of the Godfather were appaarenrly filmed. Beautiful place near Taromina with a small chapel on the grounds and chickens running around loose. When we visited the family there in the 1990’s the mafia’s presence was definitely present rather than past thense.

3 Likes

Now that I’d go see. I can’t believe I’ve been to DC several times and missed that.

I’ve been planning an RV trip to visit the banks of Plumb Creek and Laura Ingalls Wilder’s house.

Already did the Christmas Story House.

I live here and I prefer to call it Dumbfuckistan. The Alabama of NYC.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.