You can't login as [foo] from that IP addresses

So, on my work machine I discover I’ve been logged out, and attempts to login produce the above message.

Has my work IP been banned? Have I run afoul of some unusual protocol? Is @Falcor getting hungry?

(I’m posting this from my portrait-oriented phone)

Well there’s your problem!

What has OtherMichel been up to?

Are you using any sort of proxy?
In the past, I have noticed when using certain proxies (that I assume are popular with comment-spammers for some reason) I get bounced from some sites because the IP has been associated with comment spam.

Unless IT implemented something new late this afternoon, nothing that I know of.

Too much flagging coming from your IP? Have you perhaps managed to trip some automated thing?

Can you PM me the IP address in question?

That is weird. I deleted the two threads you asked me to but didn’t suspend. Perhaps a glitch in the system with doing that. I am not at a computer right now. But will try and find out what happened ASAP and update you.

The logout occurred about 6 hours later, so I’d guess they are unrelated.

@codinghorror - not at work now, but I’ll get the IP address in the morning (cc. 8am EST), and see if the issue persists.

We absolutely need the IP address to diagnose this.

I bet that in some sort of roundabout way this is the cause. I’ve had this happen (elsewhere) even when getting exit IPs that belong to regular US ISPs.

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : ins.insurity.net
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::a965:54e7:ab3b:e7cf%11
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 172.23.204.44
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.252.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 172.23.207.254

Tunnel adapter isatap.ins.insurity.net:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
   Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : ins.insurity.net

I also get the same response (but green) when attempting to login using Facebook (to which I am already logged in).

Hahahaa! Windows user!!

Try logging in as [fou] instead, Michel!

OtherMichel uses Platypux - take from that what you will.

Hmm, not seeing that ip. What does http://www.whatismyip.com say?

Also, when I try to login from Twitter it tries to create a new account.

If you’re at work, giving it a try now.

Hmm yeah that one was definitely blocked.

I deleted the entry (and I think @falcor explicitly allowed it, but I prefer to delete those entries if they are problematic) so you should be OK now.

Whenever a spammer is deleted via the “Delete Spammer” staff button, their IPs are automatically blacklisted for a year (or more, if they keep matching). My guess is that somehow happened in this case.