You might be a racist if

It is much more fun to say something completely unconnected after the “I’m not racist but …”. Such as, “I’m not racist but it really is raining heavily today.”

6 Likes

Ah yes, the libertarian, “It’s not racist if it is True”

4 Likes

You are likely correct.

11 Likes

Um, fun for who?

6 Likes

I’m not a racist, but I think I’ll take lunch 15 minutes early today.

7 Likes

You might be racist if…

You grew up in a white-dominated society.

For pretty much everybody, the question is not “are they racist?”, but is instead “how racist are they, and what are they doing about that?”.

8e4bfe72c1fa1eee57610e12c0ff6a237cb820f2

Racism is not really about individual psychology. It’s about power and wealth and the fundamental structures of society.

22 Likes

Meh. Sounds to me like a white person trying to be ironic, and clever. About a phrase that involves, you know, racism. I don’t think it’s a great move to play around with the topic like that.

11 Likes

It’s just an idea to try and take away people’s expectation of respectability when saying “I’m not a racist but…”

A more direct one is just telling them that “but” negates whatever non-racist attitudes they have.

5 Likes

Yeah, that’s a viable motive, but I doubt it would work in the moment, as in:

A: I’m not racist, but –

B: And I’m not racist either, but I’d really like another beer, how bout you?

It might deflate Racist A, and even derail whatever they were going to say, but I don’t think it would get them thinking about how they shouldn’t be expecting respectability after starting a sentence like that. Do you?

The initial way I read @XantheStone’s comment was a recommendation that people just say it randomly, before they say or announce whatever random thing. Which, as I said, strikes me as even worse (I can easily imagine some white dude doing that with an “Ain’t I clever?” smirk.)

7 Likes

I can see how it would come across that way. I like your suggestion better.

9 Likes

8 Likes

8 Likes
8 Likes

100% pro-choice but thinks that Affirmative Action isn’t fair

Ha, yep. And never mind that white women have been it’s biggest beneficiaries. (Granted, “she” wouldn’t likely even know that.)

“In fact, you calling me a racist is the real racism,” Tanya added.

When satire has trouble being satire because what it’s satirizing is already so over the top.

11 Likes

It definitely has a “only the names have been changed to protect the guilty” feel about it.

6 Likes

Another problem with this is that a complete non sequitur after “not racist but” could be covertly racist – in-jokes and codes being a common mode of racist expression.

The trick is to say something that keeps the overt form of racism, but subverts it. So as to craft an obvious charicature of a racist moron, in the audience/reader’s mind.

I’m not racist, but I can’t stand the burgers at The Olive Garden

11 Likes

Still racist.

5 Likes

Okay, I’ll try:

I’m not racist, but I think white liberals should learn to appreciate the delicate, subtle bouquet of White Tears.

12 Likes

Pinot Gringo

(sorry, not sorry)

12 Likes

If one complain’s about others “playing the race card”, they are not denying or refuting something or someone is racist. One is simply saying they have a thin skin on the subject and are annoyed its being pointed out.

4 Likes