You otter share with your furry pals

Originally published at: You otter share with your furry pals | Boing Boing

6 Likes

otters-holding-hands

11 Likes

9 Likes

Oh. My. God! Is it possible to overdose on cuteness?
‘Cos I think I just did. Playing table hockey with kibbles is absolutely adorable. :heart_eyes:

6 Likes

I’ll buzzkill this with otters are very cute but they are wild animals, not pets. Most small claw otter pets are the result of poaching and illegal trade and conservation groups encourage people to refrain from sharing the cuteness, as a means to decrease demand.

3 Likes

It may be hard to find (it was written in 1959 and I believe it’s out of print) and the language may be a bit dated, but I highly recommend “Ring of Bright Water” by Gavin Maxwell. It describes his experience raising and caring for wild otters. It’s a great book.

I managed to score a copy as a special order from Nowhere Bookshop in San Antonio, but YMMV.

https://www.nowherebookshop.com/book/9781910065099

4 Likes

Shout out for Nowhere; Jenny’s doing a book tour (virtually) as we speak!

2 Likes

In a distant future when much has been forgotten and languages lost, I like to imagine this video and its three sets of subtitles will be a useful Rosetta Stone. Perhaps we will build a new civilisation from the ashes of the old, using only otter-adjacent words.

That would be pretty cool.

2 Likes

I agree. Supercute but to me it seems cruel to remove them from their natural habitat.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.