You should be watching 'Star Wars: The Bad Batch'

Originally published at: You should be watching 'Star Wars: The Bad Batch' | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Unpopular Opinion:

The sequel trilogy was a lot of fun and most people who have issues with them are taking themselves and the franchise far too seriously.

15 Likes

… And the less said about the prequel trilogy, the better. (except maybe the third one. Maybe.)

3 Likes

I… don’t think it’s that great? Omega isn’t a wildly interesting character, and the show doesn’t seem that interested in actually getting to know the Bad Batch in any greater depth. It does seem interested in cameo after cameo of existing characters, but not really in exploring new and interesting stories, people, and places in the Star Wars universe. I don’t think it’s terrible, but I don’t think there’s much to make it a “must watch”, either.

3 Likes

Haven’t I seen that kid somewhere before?

“Gosh! Wowee! Jeepers! Golly willickers!”

3 Likes

The cartoons still share a lot of the weaknesses of the prequel trilogy, but cartoonish dialogue and silly CGI action set pieces are a lot more palatable when they’re in an actual cartoon.

If you tried putting a character like Wrecker (for example) in a live-action movie with the same dialogue and delivery it would be just as bad as any of the actual prequel characters. (Except for Jar-Jar of course.)

Know thy medium, I guess.

3 Likes

My dad would say that he is able to suspend belief more and not get overly critical with a cartoon, because, well, it’s a cartoon. I guess lesser expectations to hold it to “realistic” behaviors. I try to remember that when the clones are all in the open during battles. FIND SOME COVER!

I think some of the above criticism is fair. But I also have found the animated films to be incubators of ideas that later get fleshed out in later episodes, and some times literally such as with the Mandalorian. The Bad Batch hasn’t really revealed to me the over arching story thread, other than Omega being important and different for some reason. It has slowly developed the characters into more than just the A-Team in space. It also is showing the early birth of the Empire and how the galaxy is taking it.

I hope they keep pushing things and season 2 (assuming there is a season 2) gets even better.

2 Likes

I believe ‘they’ have been pretty clear that Omega is the last source of true Jango DNA and her death ends the clone program for some reason, in addition Tarkin et al want the clone program dead and Lama-Su and the Kaminoans want her back, the one Kaminoan with a heart wants Omega to be free.

The Bad Batch were unintended mutations. So was the janitor clone who saved the kids and Kamino during the Clone Wars. As Jango’s DNA becomes weak sauce odd things happen with the clones. Clone Force 99 are particularly deadly mutations. Omega is unaltered like Boba. There was dialogue where the Kaminoans discussed and must have her back?

3 Likes

Finn got robbed of a narrative.
Chewbacca missed Kylo on purpose in The Force Awakens because he still loved his nephew Ben.
Drunken loser Luke Skywalker in Last Jedi was the highlight of that trilogy.

5 Likes

Clone Wars and Rebels were better, but then again both were pretty weak in their first season. So I can’t be too harsh on Bad Batch. The show is enjoyable and even Omeeeega isn’t as irritating as she could be.

1 Like

The Anti-Cheese edits make them quite cromulent.

1 Like

Yeah, I get she is an unaltered clone (well, mostly unaltered). Though I wonder what the Kaminoans meant by wanting to collect the needed samples and then dispose of her. What samples? Why did they never collect those samples before now? Why would you collect those samples and then dispose of her if the source material degrades over time? Keeping her alive would mean fresh material in the future.

And to what end? If their customer for clone troopers no longer wants clones, then who are they making them for? Why be beholden to Jango’s DNA. There isn’t another specimen in the whole galaxy that would work as well?

Ah, I know. It is probably not that deep, but I keep expecting some super secret bombshell to drop. Something hidden in her that is infinitely more valuable that just being an unaltered clone from a line about to be discontinued.

Like Ein in Cowboy Beebop.

But either way, I am enjoying the show. Really like the cameos and the tie ins to the larger universe. Part of me thinks they will be laying ground work for characters to show up in future shows. Connecting threads across the series. Which when done right is pretty cool. (When done wrong, it gets a bit cliche like in The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles.)

2 Likes

I can’t watch this show because of how gawdawful ugly the character designs are. Those “humans” look every bit as bad as the humans in the original Toy Story, but at least Pixar had the excuse of firsties and the limits of 30-years-ago technology. Come to think of it, “The Bad Batch” really lives up to its name in every screen shot I’ve seen.

1 Like

SAND!

1 Like

Clearly not entirely unaltered considering she’s a blonde and (apparently) biologically female.

2 Likes

Being semi-aquatic, maybe the Kaminoans’ cloning process is kinda like how turtle or alligators have the gender of their offspring determined by the temperature that the eggs developed in rather than the genetics. So someone accidentally turned up the thermostat of a cloning tank just a little bit?

2 Likes

Who knows how Star Wars genetics works. They could just clone Jango, but clone two X chromosomes vs an XY. Or if we are talking scifi, keep the Y, alter it to be an X so that just gender changes. Or it could be some other DNA scheme where changes like that are rudimentary. Or, like you said, influenced by the environment.

1 Like

Although I despise everything about the sequel trilogy (nothing more than mind-decaying eye-candy), I happily hearted your comment. It’s all about tastes… N’est-ce pas? I actually envy anyone who gets re-watchable enjoyment out of the trilogy. Unfortunately, **twice was enough for me.

**After the one theater viewing, young relatives back east urged me (while visiting) to watch it on home theater with them. The smaller screen didn’t reduce the frequency of my head-shaking or my feelings about Lucas. Oh, well.

1 Like

and I hope Star Wars/Disney is being amazingly cool with the second most treasured “bloodline” after skywalker.

nooo-vader

2 Likes