You Tube Genres You Didn't Know Existed

Wow. Who knew that existed?

Heh, I always have to resist buying the kits because a) the instructions are all in japanese and b) I donā€™t own a microwave. There are some fun ones where they then actually EAT the things they made. Apparently the burger and fries one tastes like mcdonalds, which is awesome and terrifying. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yeah its nice to see things come back to life.

1 Like

I love Taofledermausā€™s videos. Pretty much the whole channel is hundreds of videos of weird stuff people mail in, that they put in 12 gauge shells, and fire out of old beatup shotguns.

Thereā€™s even a community of CNC people who make new projectiles out of exotic materials that are weird shapes to shoot out of shotties.

Turns out supersonic terminal ballistics are dominated by air resistance, so most of the designs donā€™t work very well, even though they would at subsonic speeds. Lots of people send in dart shaped stuff, but of course that all tumbles badly.

3 Likes

William Gibson describes them in, I think, the second book of the Bridge trilogy. Whether they were a thing or not already, Iā€™m not sure. Probably, but you never know.

2 Likes

Angry pedantic letter writing to game companies count as a genre?

1 Like

Hereā€™s a mini-genre I discovered: ā€œAmigaā€ song dramatic sing-along.

3 Likes

Been watching a lot of these lately.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve had endless frustrating conversations with my teenage nephew about this, who will sit with headphones on and watch videos of other people playing Minecraft for hours at a stretch, often as part of a chatroom where he and other people comment on the video while itā€™s playing, so I get hours of ā€œNo! Donā€™t put that there! What the F? Oh my gooooddd!!ā€

He doesnā€™t like playing Minecraft because itā€™s ā€œtoo much workā€. Watching it played is ā€œlike watching footballā€, he says. I think heā€™s just lazy and uses it as background noise as an excuse for online chat.

4 Likes

Closely related to pimple popping videos are the whole genre of blackhead removal videos, some of which have 4 or 5 million views.

3 Likes

This channel was featured on BB a couple of months ago. Any video showing how specific manufacturing or agricultural processes work would keep me interested for hours.

My kids watch Pokemon Go videos all the time, although my son likes playing it too. My daughter is also teaching herself ballet and gymnastics with Youtube videos, so itā€™s interesting to see her interests develop.

5 Likes

ewwwwww, thatā€™s nasty

4 Likes

Obvious one that isnā€™t in here but hydraulic presses crushing stuff.

The superior channel is the HydraulicPress Channel. Something special about his accent and his wife giggling at everything.

8 Likes

Apparently todd metal videos are a thing.

2 Likes

Apologies in advance.

I wonā€™t link to the actual channels, youā€™ll have to choose to go down that road on your own, but hereā€™s a review from the team over at h3h3.

2 Likes

I donā€™t see how your argument is valid. As far as Iā€™m concerned you just backed up his point.

I like watching games because Iā€™m just bad at them. Itā€™s more fun to watch people who are good at them, or at least entertaining.

3 Likes

I could watch Quake competitions and Street Fighter tournaments all day.

2 Likes

We appear to have picked on different people.

I canā€™t understand how they canā€™t understand. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Heh, I donā€™t understand how people enjoy watching baseball. Itā€™s boring as hell. You can watch for 3 hours, and the ā€œmost excitingā€ thing would be a team pitching a ā€œperfect game.ā€ You know, where nothing happens. Nobody gets onbase.

That couldnā€™t possibly be more interesting than watching someone freak out playing Resident Evil. Or get salty getting their ass whooped playing CS:GO.

4 Likes

I like proper tourneys where you can hear the audience react and maybe even they have some competent commentators. Although hearing the crowd lose their shit at some pivotal moment is the best. This reminds me of a specific video, if you understand the game mechanics you can appreciate why the crowd reacts they way they do. To an outsider itā€™s just a video game.

To an insider itā€™s face melting, religion starting stuff.

ETA: Hereā€™s a reddit thread that highlights some of the stuff going on in that moment. Iā€™ve read a better explanation before but canā€™t seem to find it.

Ah, itā€™s actually linked on web archive in the thread:

http://web.archive.org/web/20140714150335/http://www.penny-arcade.com/report/article/the-beast-is-unleashed-capcoms-seth-killian-explains-the-most-famous-minute

5 Likes