Your chance to swim in a Hearst Castle pool is now

They have bookings for both pools. The neptune pool was under complete reconstruction for the past couple years, apparently since some Lady Gaga video was filmed. I was there last summer, and the tour guide said it was leaking hundreds or thousands of gallons a day, so it looks like the reconstruction is complete. The Roman (indoor) pool has apparently been open for the descendants/family to swim in for years, as the Hearsts still have vacation housing at the castle and some benefits, even though it was given to the park service or something to maintain.

5 Likes

It is sickening the death and terror an F-18 brings to the world, but I wouldn’t think twice if I was offered a ride in one.

3 Likes

See, I could never be this classy. I’d sneak in a Babe Ruth candy bar.

5 Likes

Sic semper tyrannis.

1 Like

They do float well. Like little mines. And when you try to back away, they follow you.

2 Likes

I think I would prefer the outdoor pool

2 Likes

$950? Shucks, I’d let somebody use my bathtub for 5 bucks. The loofa is extra.

1 Like

My recollection (per the tour guide) is that California’s State Parks service owns the wine bottles, but can’t legally own the wine therein – so it still belongs to the family. (Who, presumably, can’t consume it because the bottles belong to the state…?)

Also, based on what I know of his politics tilting leftward, I never figured out what Chaplin was doing at San Simeon in the first place. (The tour showed a home movie of him playing tennis there.) I figure it would be like Stephen King or Alec Baldwin dropping in at Mar-A-Lago in the present day. I’m guessing it had more to do with Chaplin and Marion Davies being showbiz colleagues.

2 Likes

Donny like him some gold FS.

trump-toilet-475x243

1 Like

The Pacific Ocean is just downhill from Hearst Castle. Beaches there are renowned sea-lion rookeries. I’ve seen herds of the pinnipeds lounging across the coast highway, blocking traffic. The road has since been relocated to give them space. I doubt any have made it as far as the castle’s pools, but who knows?

I’m trying desperately for a political metaphor here. Help!

2 Likes

Best I could do on short notice, though Mitch is the Blocker of Progress in Chief:

He also destroyed the hemp industry to make way for his timber holdings to increase in value for the making of paper.

1 Like

Slam a couple of pontoons on that baby, land, and go from “groovy” to “far out!”

No joke. You’ve reminded me of the very last time I went to the old McCarren public pool in B’klyn. It wasn’t a Baby Ruth bar I saw sitting at the bottom of the shallow end. Never went back.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.