Your face mask is you so it better say something and maybe these 20 masks will speak to (and for) you

This is utter bullshit. OR teams wear masks for hours and hours and have no increased risk of pleurisy. Miscarriages from chronic exposure to anesthetic gases? Absolutely. No, absolutely no increased risk from wearing masks.

19 Likes

My face mask is me, eh? Well now that’s a bunch of marketing BS oriented around making some cha-chings off of a not great situation if I ever heard any.

3 Likes

I don’t think this is true. I work in environment with sanding dust and organic solvents so mask with appropriate filter is necessary, sometimes for up to 84 hours per week and I never had any problems other than pressure marks on my face.

6 Likes

You needs yourself a jenyouwine Philip K Dick ScrambleMask®™

2 Likes

Before the covid even reached the US, my brother was diagnosed with pleurisy. Second time in 10 years that he’s come down with it. I though pleurisy was something that went out with polio and cholera, but apparently not. As of a month ago when I spoke with him, he still sounded hoarse and winded and was still recovering.

2 Likes

I got mine due to an injury many years ago, it hurt.

2 Likes

Considering that the Rorschach mask became a symbol of the Seventh Kavalry in the HBO series, maybe not as cool an idea as it initially sounds.

3 Likes

Meh. I’ll stick with my Dr. No environmental suit. /sarcasm

1 Like

Looks like BS. Here’s a version I found via Google and ends with:

Every guideline we have been told to follow is determination[sic] to our health and immune systems ! — Anonymous

This version, at least, appears to be a straight up attack on all of our most important measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19: Shelter in place, social distancing and source control masks.

There can be problems with wearing masks. Real N95s that fit well do make it harder to breathe in and out, and that may have real consequences for people with breathing difficulties. But most source control masks are loose fitting and much more breathable than N95 masks.

Even if this weren’t a completely made up cut and paste chain letter it seems unlikely doctors could definitively pin a case of pleurisy on mask wearing when we are all supposed to be wearing masks and most people don’t have pleurisy, but let’s say there is a case of someone getting pleurisy. There are also 117,000 people dead of COVID-19 in the US in just a few months. Risk (one case of pleurisy) vs. Reward (not spreading a deadly virus to your friends, family or anyone else).

Also, since pleurisy can be caused by infections, everyone wearing masks may actually prevent pleurisy, kind of like how the flu season dropped dead with social distancing. So even if one case were to be possibly caused by poor hygiene mask use many more might be prevented by mask wearing.

I think the lesson is don’t trust anonymous cut and pastes for valid information on COVID-19. They aren’t any more valid than the old faxed chain letters about cookie recipes.

4 Likes

1 Like

While exhalation valves are nice, especially for those of us with glasses, they don’t help much in the way of preventing a mask wearing sick person from spreading the germs.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.