Your next job: $3,000 for sleeping

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/27/your-next-job-3000-for-sleeping.html

3 Likes

Unfortunately I can’t sleep for shit. Even Ambien isn’t doing the job anymore. Sigh. This would otherwise be my dream job at this point.

7 Likes

Li’l Abner!

Can’t fall asleep or can’t go back to sleep if you wake in the night? I’m good on the former, not on the latter. CBD po at bedtime helps me but some people report intense weird dreams.

1 Like

I don’t get into bed for $3,000.

8 Likes

I’d consider it, but I draw the line at MyPillow.

4 Likes

Usually I can fall asleep unless I’m keyed up. But if I do wake up later I have to strictly keep lights off and avoid looking at clocks in order to maybe fall back asleep.

Everyone I know is touting CBD to help on this, so I’m pondering it pretty hard. The bigger issue I’ve had is waking up groggy (and feeling like a truck ran over me) no matter what my sleep status was. It’s a struggle to remember what ‘refreshed’ feels like!

2 Likes

A lot of so-called “sleep aids” have an unfortunately long system half-life, resulting in morning groggitude. You might check that. CBD appears to be something of an anxiolytic (also: valerian root extract.) Like the light you mention, temperature also makes a difference. For me at least, a warm bed in a cold room is best.

WRT light, sciencebasedmedicine.org is a great resource generally and not long ago had a review of the research literature on light and sleep. Might be worth checking. Also, search terms “sleep hygeine.”

2 Likes

(fucking hilarious anime great for turning off your brain before sleep)

3 Likes

I can fall asleep pretty reliably as long as i give myself enough downtime at the end of the night and avoid watching any shows or videos that are really engaging. I usually end up putting something i can passively watch and it puts me to sleep right away, and during the night if i wake up i have little issues falling back to sleep :slight_smile:

Not sure if there’s a catch for this mattress review job but i sent in my info anyway, doubt i’ll get picked but what the hell you never know.

3 Likes

I have often found police procedurals to put me to sleep. Sure, it’s all about rape and murder and stuff, but Law & Order SVU is dry and predictable, and you can follow an entire episode without actually watching. It’s so wordy, it’s more like an audiobook in pantomime.

1 Like

I get what you mean, for me what i watch that puts me to sleep varies quite a bit but i’ve used old British comedies/shows, nature documentaries, there’s a youtube art/drawing channel that i love but when i watch it at night it puts me to sleep real fast, and sometimes i’ll put on wood working or tool restoration videos on YT, or somewhat dry yet mildly interesting science videos.

1 Like

I have the opposite problem, probably from staying up too late. I try to stretch before sleeping, and play games on my Kindle to keep my brain engaged long enough to finish. Sometimes, I doze off mid-stretch. This has led to a few painful moments, when the Kindle (held in my fully outstretched hands) fell right on my face. :face_with_head_bandage: Now, I keep reminding myself to hold it off to the side, just in case.

Thanks for the link.

I definitely have a sleep hygiene routine where I’m chilling out and avoiding light/info for a while prior to sleeping. I’ve had a sleep study done and have some back pain that interrupts solid sleep as well. Plus an overactive brain (which I’m sure a majority of this forum suffers from). There’s plenty I could do more (exercise, stretches, etc.), but time is super compressed right now (like my spine, ha).

2 Likes

I don’t sleep great. Largely from pain or brain not shutting off - or both.

So on the plus side - if your mattress soothed me it would be a huge selling point.

1 Like

I don’t get OUT of bed for less. :wink:

3 Likes

"To be the right fit for the role you will need to be a self-starter, available to work immediately and independently, have clear writing skills, good evaluation skills and be exceptionally good at sleeping."

I got this, no problemo!

3 Likes

I don’t know if being “exceptionally good at sleeping” is a quality I would want in someone reviewing mattresses.

“Yeah, I guess that bed was comfortable, but what do I know, I can sleep on bare concrete in a hailstorm.”

I want mattress recommendations from people who can’t sleep for shit, and yet still, this mattress works for them.

3 Likes

FWIW, serious exercise before breakfast is apparently good for much of the day, with light exercise (esp. mobility/stretching) all you want before bed.

3 Likes

Sleeping for/on the job… I’ll get started right away

2 Likes

That was my first thought, too. My second was there’s no way I could let someone deliver a mattress to my place right now, unless I want this dream job to become a potential nightmare. Maybe next year.