YouTube ‘missed the mark,’ says CEO apologizing for verification removal mega-blunder

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/20/youtube-herpa-derped.html

Updates are expected.

2 Likes

which resulted in several popular creators receiving emails alerting

“Several” - given how many people whose names are familiar to me, despite spending no time on Youtube, were complaining about being de-verified, I’m guessing it’s a lot more than “several.”

The Youtube response is unintelligible - did they mean to do this? Was it an accident, a side effect of a new system? Battling impersonation by de-verifying accounts doesn’t make a lot of sense.

7 Likes

The shitshow that is Big Tech rolls on.

5 Likes

Why is Youtube such a constant fuckup? Do they do anything right, moral or otherwise?

I hope we have a new player soon.

7 Likes

“We meant to do this (probably so that we could extort people for ever-more personal information for their verification,) but it unintentionally caused us bad PR” :wink:

3 Likes

My biggest takeaway from this article is that YouTube does, in fact, employ people who can manually review things.

2 Likes

How does removing peoples Verified status, who are only known on youtube help protect us?

Sounds like they have a new product in the future where they want to charge for this, so lets kick every on off it then make people pay a yearly fee of £500 to be Verified…

“We meant to do this because we want to promote only the content we can monetise -as non-verified accounts have less chance to be promoted into front-page suggestions- but this is causing us bad PR.”

Not that they are going to backpedal this…

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.