YouTube reinstated these extremist and white nationalist channels, apologized to them

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/29/youtube-reinstated-these-extre.html

White nationalist activist Martin Sellner and British YouTuber the Iconoclast are free to rake in those YouTube views—and the money that goes with it.

2 Likes

28 Likes

Betting Donny Two Scoops, Bojoke, and the oligarchs made some “suggestions”.

6 Likes

“A commitment to openness is not easy,” Wojcicki wrote. "It sometimes means leaving up content that is outside the mainstream, controversial or even offensive.

“But I believe that hearing a broad range of perspectives ultimately makes us a stronger and more informed society, even if we disagree with some of those views.”

So they’ll be reversing their decision on banning ISIS and Al Qaeda recruiting and propaganda videos as well? Because it’s the SAME DAMNED THING.

I mean, really, FFS. How hard is it to identify and ban open and proud hatemongers of any kind?

30 Likes

But one lot is (brown) terr’ists and the other is good ole (white) boys. /s

Or perhaps one generates ad revenue and other doesn’t.

11 Likes

I mean, at least you pretended to try.

jpg

5 Likes
17 Likes

And then there’s also the principle of Freeze Peach, which some Libertarian will be along any minute now to applaud YouTube’s supposed commitment to. Which is why @wsraqoo’s post is important, although the privilege-blind twits who make their grand proclamations need the cartoon version.

21 Likes

“… which restoring these accounts obviously is.”

The spokesperson didn’t go on to say.

3 Likes
8 Likes
1 Like

I wish Popper’s paradox were more widely discussed. It seems that most people are stuck in a binary world-- good/bad, right/wrong, tolerant/intolerant when in reality there is no perfectly binary world. Sure, you can find examples, but mostly the human world is messy, and the idea that you have to be perfect is a poison. Right now there are people reading this post, and ‘confounding me’ by citing examples where something is binary.

3 Likes

No, no, this is fine.

7 Likes

Only available to view with a Premium account though right?

It’d be a real shame if YouTube viewers downvoted and reported every one of the new videos by the millions. A real shame.

3 Likes

On every platform like YouTube, Facebook, etc. that requires content moderation, a lot of fuss is made over how difficult it is to protect people while at the same time being consistent across all cultures, being fair, and not oppressing peoples’ right to express themselves more than necessary. And I’m sure it is difficult.

Just saying, kind of weird how it invariably uses kid gloves on white supremacists, scammers, misogynists and trolls while cracking down mercilessly on minorities, women, artists and activists. Pure coincidence, I’m sure.

10 Likes

I am not sure how it works, but wouldn’t that generate ad revenue for both YouTube and the arseholes?

When advertisers object to their content being shown in relation to these users that might provoke a better result.

Complaints and downvotes don’t generate ad revenue. Ad views and clicks generate ad revenue.

Your plan sounds like a worthwhile thing to do then, thanks for clarifying

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.