'You've literally got to eat mummy's cooking now.'

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/01/youve-literally-got-to-eat.html

5 Likes

Good. because from the sound of it this kid was headed for Type 2 diabetes by age 10.

48 Likes

I believe that engaging kids with cooking and helping in the kitchen creates a positive association and familiarization with ingredients and recipes they might otherwise be disinterested in. Most parents likely won’t have the time to regularly have their kid help out but even once a week is enough to have a positive effect, i grew up helping my mom cook and have very fond memories of those times.

59 Likes

Not to mention the life-survival skills needed when those kids grow up.

35 Likes

Says “I’m sorry” but keeps rubbing it in.

44 Likes

Just starting a red sauce this morn. Roasted about 5 pounds of red bells yesterday, did the roasted garlic last night. Should be a crowd pleaser, even if the crowd is the two of us…

@Grey_Devil i grew up helping my mom cook and have very fond memories of those times.

My Son and I are cooking once a week via zoom, so far it’s been a real hoot. Home made pizza on Saturday, have a double convection oven here, and he has a 1960’s circa GE oven that has seen better days… Pizza Challenge!

33 Likes

Absolutely, growing up i was a notoriously difficult and picky kid when it came to food but i did enjoy helping in the kitchen and i had a phase where i really got into baking. Once i moved out and started cooking for myself i had all the skills and confidence i needed to start trying new things :slight_smile: I really do believe its worth the effort to get kids involved early on.

26 Likes

Credit to Layla for having a goodly list of restaurants she associates with “food.”

I’ve known a fair few four year olds who would rather starve than eat anything besides chicken nuggets.

18 Likes

My connection through food has been a rare bright spot from my childhood memories. I had a wonderful after school gig with a local chef, hard work, but I never left without learning something new everyday.

Hans, where ever you are, I love you to the stove and back.

29 Likes

My mother took a job where she worked swing shift when I was twelve. I was enlisted to cook family dinners five days a week.

Somehow, my father and younger siblings survived :crazy_face:

21 Likes

I was raised in Venezuela, and while i immensely miss my relatives, one of the things i really miss is the food. A love of food is universal so i would hope that parents try to engage with their kids in the kitchen :slight_smile:

Also that sounds cool and challenging working for a chef. Any particular recipes you’ve held onto that you like to make?

16 Likes

One always stands out: Recipe is useless if you don’t include love & affection. Never put anger / hate into your food, the people that eat it will taste it. Clear your mind, speak to the food with kindness, and enjoy the process.

Hans 1972’ish

As long as I live, that good human lives inside me.

38 Likes

I gotta say that the fact that the mother is recording the child and egging her on makes it feel less funny and more like little Layla-Rae’s going to need a good therapist when she gets older.

Sure, the things that kids find important are ridiculous by adult standards, but you have to realize: they’re important to them. Help the kid cope with this time that’s confusing enough for adults, and don’t make them out to be an internet spectacle.

Though, I agree with @anon61833566. That sort of diet isn’t doing her any favors. Hopefuly, mummy is making a healthier variety of food while she torments her child for lolz.

41 Likes

That makes me wonder about the shockingly large number of people I’ve met who can’t cook. Like anything, at all. How are these poor souls coping? I had trouble working my brain around it before (the food budgets must be immense). But now? what are they doing?

11 Likes

Yesterday I did a slow simmered chicken with brown lentils and red wine. Today is sandwich bread making day. and a quick gnocchi with broccoli tonight.

My fam is quite pleased eating in. Though we are doing take out with some local places to help keep their business supported.

8 Likes

My daughters have taken a love to cooking while being stuck at home.

And every morning I wake up to ~2-3 loads of dishes for something like pasta.

I’ve tried to stop them, but they’re like the cobblers who wake up at midnight after I’m asleep and do all the shoes: I come out in the morning to fresh cupcakes or pancakes with a hand-written “Enjoy them!”. If that helps them through this, good on them.

30 Likes

18808409jpg-r_1920_1080-f_jpg-q_x-xxyxx_phixr

7 Likes

My main problem is getting flour. I want to bake all the things, but all I could find was (hrk) gluten-free. The rest of my repertoire is coming along nicely, though.

8 Likes

Yeah, I am running low on multiple flours (I keep AP, Whole Wheat, Bread Flour, and Rye Flour handy). I ran to the grocery store yesterday and they only had small bags of niche flours (like almond, coconut, and teff).

Hoping there is a restock this weekend.

This has been good to also been good practice to make just enough without leftovers. We are notoriously not a left over house hold…but when you need to take a lunch to work/school its a necessary evil. Since we are all home…left overs just sit and go bad!

5 Likes

I wonder if you could call any of your local bakeries and see if they’d be willing to sell you some flour. Kind of a stretch i suppose but you never know. Some stores like Target also keep track of their inventory so ideally if you check online it should tell you which nearest store has flour. Monday i did that for some powdered milk i had been trying to hunt down for the last two weeks, it wouldn’t let me order for pickup for some reason but it did let me know the closest store to me had some.

8 Likes