'You've literally got to eat mummy's cooking now.'

I’ve got 40 pounds on my carcass to prove to my kids that their Mum’s cooking is awesome (and it is).

(Dad can hold his own too, eh…)

… he says, waiting for her latest experimental chocolate cake to come out of the oven this morning… :timer_clock: :crazy_face::drooling_face:

… then it’s off to turn over the veggie garden and get that ready … :yum:

Now, we might starve to death financially in all of this but we’ll go out having eaten well. :thinking:

18 Likes

In the queue for tonight, I’m going to cook up some chicken tikka masala. Yeah, it’s a kit (you provide the chicken), but I do tend to keep things simple (and, sadly, I have a bit of a lazy streak).

9 Likes

Cooking is the religion of this family. The best reason to go out to a restaurant is to experience good food you’ve never had before. Made me proud to hear that my daughter taught her roommate the joys and skills of cooking, converting another believer.

14 Likes

Quite likely, frozen microwave meals, or take-out.

It was the cost of restaurant meals that led me to get off my duff a few years ago and cook the lion’s share of my meals. I don’t mind cooking up large batches; that means less cooking for the next few days, and I can always put leftovers in the freezer if the batch is huge.

5 Likes

I don’t even eat fast food, but, under normal circumstances, I eat at the cafeteria at work a lot, and I eat take out a lot. I’ve already lost some weight, and generally am feeling a little better, just from having to eat whatever I planned to eat two weeks ago, or whatever the farm subscription I signed up for brought this week, instead of going out and grabbing a burger or something.

6 Likes

Came here specifically to say this. That kid isn’t in on the joke at all. Granted, this could be at the end of a week of ‘But Mummy, I want a Nandos’ - still not funny.

10 Likes

Coraline’s father stopped working and made them all dinner.

Coraline was disgusted. “Daddy,” she said, “You’ve made a recipe again.”

“It’s leek and potato stew, with a tarragon garnish and melted Gruyére cheese,” he admitted.

Coraline sighed. Then she went to the freezer and got out some microwave chips and a microwave mini-pizza.

“You know I don’t like recipes,” she told her father, while her dinner went round and round and the little red numbers on the microwave oven counted down to zero.

“If you tried it, maybe you’d like it,” said Coraline’s father, but she shook her head.

14 Likes

I love cooking and baking - we eat at home most nights (only going out about once a week), so this hasn’t been too much of a change for us. I have, however, been getting a lot more excited about planning our nightly dinner ahead of time. Now that I have a lot of time on my hands, I’m getting into sauces and sides as well as the main dishes. Tonight I am going to make Hawaiian-style white fish taco bowls with rice, cabbage slaw, and assorted veggies to toss on top. Trying to decide between doing a peach or raspberry peach crisp for dessert…

7 Likes

Whatever gets you cookin!!!

2 Likes

For me, it’s not the cooking so much as the cleanup. It helps me a lot to always, always, always keep up on the dishes. A sink full of dirty dishes and pans is a great demotivator.

5 Likes

Could lead to a life in food service if the world comes back.
I wouldn’t want that for anyone’s child.

I am with the main character in Burnt when it comes to fast food. They are really cooking what was once peasant food. Too much fat, salt, and bad cuts of meat dressed up a little but still cheap and accessible for the masses. He rambles on a bit about it…but the point is, fast food is not the issue…its people being too lazy or not being able to afford (cost or time) anything else.

3 Likes

My husband is my dishwasher :grin:

In all seriousness, I do clean as I go, but he’s not a huge fan of cooking. What he does love is doing dishes. I am happy to let him, but try not to be a dick about making big messes if I can help it.

6 Likes

YTPTSD
You tube PTSD(?)

1 Like

That’s kind of a big leap to make that they’d want to go into professional cooking, additionally don’t dunk on other people’s passions.

4 Likes

Why not?

I’m the cook in our house.
My wife would rather eat here than anywhere else.
Where we live restaurant food is goood.

If this virus had hit when we were both in food service with me on minimum wage or close
and no benefits or sick pay or insurance or vacation with cuts and burns and other injuries on
the regular I don’t think we’d a made it.

3 Likes

It’s funnier than the vid where the mom tells the little girl all her grandparents are dead.

4 Likes

I’ve found that changes when I can’t go out and get takeout.

3 Likes

This video is awful. I was genuinely a bit traumatized just watching it.

It’s not funny at all.
The kid doesn’t know what’s going on. Just that everything is different and wrong and scary.
By the time is gets to “You’ve got to eat mummy’s cooking” she’s barely listening. She is just scared and sad and needs to be comforted. Not filmed and laughed at.

31 Likes

^This! We are doing that as well. Here in the Keys, we are (quite literally - as in a roadblock on the US 1 bridge) cut off from the mainland and tourism, the lifeblood of the islands, is zero. We call out and pick up meals from our friends’ and neighbors’ establishments hoping to help them survive.
While I fancy myself to be an above average cook and enjoy cooking (and eating) meals at home, Arthur makes fantastic curry goat and Manny makes a mean crunchy grouper sandwich and I really want their restaurants to make it!

6 Likes